Monday, February 9, 2009

Harry Potter

So this blog is supposed to be about my writing, but whatever. I'm reading the Harry Potter books (really slowly) for about the thousandth time. (That's an exaggeration, but realistically, I've read book 7 four times, and I've read the others all close to or well upwards of ten times.) I'm on the fourth one at the moment, and every time I read the books, I just think 'wow, she's amazing.' There is a reason she made so much money off those books. They are just so well thought out! Her characters have such distinct personalities, every single one of them. There are so many characters in the book, too, yet you would never have trouble differentiating between them, and no two are alike. Even Fred and George, who at all appearances should be exactly the same. Everyone I know strongly prefers one or the other. And she has the most creative ways of allowing the magical world to be explained. Muggle borns. They make it so that it's absolutely legitimate for characters to be explaining things to each other. You don't sit there thinking 'why are you explaining this? Obviously, that character would know.' So we get to learn with them. And the plot is so complex yet so linear. Everything intertwines, everything goes together, and it's easy to follow, but at the same time, so much happens. And there's so much backstory. How that woman's head didn't explode, I will never know. She's amazing, and she really should be an inspiration to anyone who ever wants to be published. Not because she made so much money, but because she so obviously loved her characters and her story, and it really shows in the final product. She deserves every ounce of praise she gets.

0 comments: