Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Hunger Games. And writing. And contests!

So as it might be really easy to guess, I've been reading The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. I'm only about a quarter of the way through (I only got it on Friday afternoon, and was busy yesterday - my sister graduated college!) but it's good so far. It also has confirmed a lot of things for me about writing stuff set in the future, which makes me have reaffirmed confidence in Shattered Ice. Not that it's anything alike in any detail except being set in the future (at least, not so far. And not that I can foresee.) But a few specific things I'd been wondering about writing futuristic worlds were cleared up for me. I know that's cryptic, but it'll get boring if I keep on that topic.

I am doing well on my writing, too. Though I took a little pause starting on Friday to go back through the earlier chapters. I had stopped breaking up chapters temporarily because I had to add scenes I didn't anticipate, but I got to the end of that part, so now I am going back through and re-breaking chapters. I wanted the ones I already had to be shorter, too, so I've been taking a look at where I split those. And of course revising, because it's like a disease. I can't help but revise.

Also, fun pitch contest at the fictional faction forum. Enter it...you know you want to!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

The Hunger games is next on my to read list- I swear that book's stalking me! I'd never heard of it until a few weeks ago and now it's everywhere- every shop I go in, it's even in my very limited school library.

Anywho glad your making good progress on your writing and you get to put in your chapter breaks- I know how much that was annoying you haha!

Andrea said...

Yay, Shattered Ice!

I want to read The Hunger Games now. I want to know why it's so good!

Chanelley said...

I REALLY enjoyed the Hunger Games. Can't wait until the movie!

Kaitlin Ward said...

It will make a good movie, I can actually picture it as a movie (unlike other books recently made into movies that shall remain nameless. Or one specific book hehe.)

defcon said...

I'm thinking of reading this too, haha. It's on my list of summer books. Is it very actiony? I need to read more action books.

Kaitlin Ward said...

Well, the point of the Hunger Games is for everyone to kill each other with one person left standing at the end, so yes, there's action ;) I found that she did pretty well with those parts, so it'd probably be a good choice!