Thursday, May 21, 2009

Progress makes me happy.

I'm not sure what it has been this week, but it's been a really good one for me, as far as writing goes. I think it's a mixture of things--my boyfriend's new job is weirdly seeming to give me both more time with him and more time to myself because of his different hours. Plus between beta reading, and reading The Hunger Games, and Jenny & Andrea both finishing their WIPs within a couple days of each other, I've felt very inspired.

I really feel like I'm happy with the way Shattered Ice is going, and even if everyone else in the world hates it but me, I'll still consider it a success. Because I love it. As much as but differently than Ignited. Which I expected, since neither story is my first love. My first love story will never see the light of day though because it's kind of an embarrassment. Plus I stole two characters from my first love story for Ignited, and one for Shattered Ice. They were too good to waste!

I'm just having so much fun right now, writing, talking to people about writing. Not just about mine, I actually adore talking to other people about their stuff too. I love being excited about someone else's characters, and falling in love with someone else's story. And seeing how much someone loves writing. It makes me happy. Because that's what it should always be about, is the love. I know I say that a lot, but I think it gets lost sometimes. Obviously I want to be published, but more than anything, I just want to be able to enjoy writing till I'm old and wrinkly. And I want to love reading for that long too.

Shattered Ice is doing that for me right now--it's a happy manuscript. It has had its little setbacks, its changes, the characters making decisions I didn't originally intend for them to make, but I think (hope!) those things have all been smoothed over and will ultimately make my plot better.

That being said, I've officially mutilated my outline. It was a chapter by chapter outline, but it sort of died. I decided I liked the idea of having more, shorter chapters. So right now, I'm about 3/4 of the way through chapter 21, which was part of chapter 10 in my outline. All the plot points are still relevant, but I've just had to ignore my original chapter breaks. There could be worse problems, though. There could be much worse problems.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Ah well done for all that amazing progress you're making- I love those times when writing is just the best thing to be doing.

And I agree, it's all about the writing love!

Andrea said...

EVERYBODY FEEL THE LOVE!

*group hug*

Chanelley said...

Can't wait to get betaing Shattered Ice!

defcon said...

Progress = goodness

I'm glad you love Shattered Ice for what it is, I wish more writers were like that, ignoring that wee factor: fame.

Madeline-Rose said...

I'm glad that you are enjoying Shattered Ice. Even if other people don't like it, as long as you do that's all that matters.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

*cheers*
*bounces*
*sets off fireworks*