Saturday, July 4, 2009

My week (and happy fourth!)

First of all, the obligatory happy Fourth of July! Even though it's driving me insane with all the fireworks, and I haven't been able to accomplish anything between the poor dog freaking out and the baby waking up on and off. Grrr loudness.

This was a pretty cool week for me, lots of fun things happened. I got to be really excited for other people's successes (SO excited), interview Claudia Gray for YA Highway (which was beyond awesome), spoke with some of my college friends who I hadn't heard from in a while (busy little things with their medical and vet school stuff!)

Those were the big things. Then there were smaller things, like working on my query letter, which finally has a rough draft that's like...sandpaper rough, not edges of a saw rough. And starting to work on my revising, which I find very fun. The best part is when I look through my beta comments, and I think she's right about that. Maybe it's weird to like comments that express that I'm doing something wrong, but I wrote it; I'm not going to see everything. I guess it just makes me happy to see that people want to help me, and aren't afraid to point out mistakes. AND on the subject, Shattered Ice is getting a shiny new title: Unthawed. Thanks to brainstorming by Kirsten & Amanda. Some of you probably already knew that I wasn't really all that fond of my title (especially if you were one of the multiple people I groaned about it to over MSN when I was first writing it), so when it came up, I was ridiculously happy for some help finding a better one. I want to do everything I can to attract love for it from agents, after all!

Soon I will be brave and show my query to others for it to be torn apart, then I will be even more brave (actually, less brave--somehow non-agents are scarier...) and start actually querying!

Oh and like I've mentioned previously, I am slowly writing something new, which is untitled at the moment. I kind of like it so far, and will probably post the beginning on the next Teaser Tuesday. I'm not in any rush to finish it, but it's nice to have something to work on. I have the strong feeling that it'll get hard for me to write somewhere in the middle, because despite the fact that it's fantasy, I think it's going to be a lot more of a 'finding herself' type deal than what I usually do. Usually, I like to have pretty distinct problems: the warring demons in Ignited; the creature that kills Emma's family in SI (or in Unthawed! I'm going to keep forgetting that I retitled it, I know I am.) But in this one, there is nothing like that at all. It's also going to have a lot more normal high school business, so we'll see how I do with that. Should be interesting!

5 comments:

Chanelley said...

Oooh I LOVE the new name! I'm glad you finally found something you love for your MS.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

Yaaaay title love!! Let me know when you're done with this round of revisions, and then send it on over this way :)

Kaitlin Ward said...

I will most definitely do that, Kirsten!

Amanda Hannah said...

Yay! Love the new title! Definitely fits the book. LOL-sandpaper rough, not edge of a saw rough-spoken like a writer hehe

Kaitlin Ward said...

I'm working on my use of good metaphors haha.