Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wow it's been long...

I haven't blogged in about three weeks--eek! I try to be better than this.


It's just, there hasn't been too much to say. I'm querying, but I really am keeping all of that stuff to myself for the most part. I don't want to discuss who has a partial of what with the whole world, because it's really just my business. Not that I mind when other people share, but it's not my way. I'm secretive and weird. Always have been!

I felt compelled to blog, though, so...you get this piece of joyousness. I guess I'll just summarize what I'm working on at the moment. First, there is Unthawed. I'm not doing much with it right now, a few little touches, and as I'm typing this, the lovely Andrea is giving me suggestions to fix my least favorite chapter, and I like her suggestions, so I may have to work on that sometime soon. Then there's Ignited, which I am rewriting completely from scratch (for the most part). I made a pretty outline and everything. I don't think trying to query it afterwards will be a good idea--my characters are now in their early 20's (aka the age no one wants to read about, apparently) and I'm pretty sure that even though it technically could be a stand alone book, it would be crappy without being a series. So, two things right there that would make it near impossible to snag an agent with. But I'm having fun, and that's what writing is all about. And item #3: my untitled WIP. This is going slowly for several reasons. 1) present tense. I like having it in present tense, and I think it'll be a good tool for this particular story, but I've never done it before, so it's tricky. 2) I have a little bit of a lack of focus, I can admit it. 3) This is technically urban fantasy, but it's like 97% urban, 3% fantasy, so it's a little out of my normal realm. I don't like writing about the real world! 4) I keep having conflicting ideas about where to go with it, despite my beautiful outline. It ends up the same no matter what, but there are a few different paths I can take, and I want to think about them all before I get too far in.

So that's all. The excitement of my writing life.

6 comments:

Michelle Schusterman said...

I think it's awesome that:

1. You're branching out from your comfort zone.

2. You're writing for you and not for the sole purpose of getting an agent.

And why is early twenties such a bad age? I have a story in mind for that age too. :( Are folks in their early twenties reading about teens still, or do the want older characters?

I'm not questioning you- I've heard the same thing about that age group. I just don't understand why.

Amanda Hannah said...

The early twenty age group isn't a bad thing (especially in fantasy/scifi). I think it'd be considered cross over. Where older teens could read as well as people in their twenties. I read a series that started with the MC in her youn twenties. It's on the seventh or eight book now lol

It might not be the easiest to sell. But once Unthawed snags your lovely agent, it'd be worth discussing.

Oh, and I'm reading it regardless. :)

Jenny said...

Juggling two stories (writing) must be hard haha, I know I fail at that. But I'm glad you're rewriting Ignited- I'm really looking forward to getting to read it again!

Kaitlin Ward said...

Well, I'm in my early 20's (*clings desperately to this even though it's kind of not true anymore*) and I don't see why we're such an uncool age :(

So much goes on in college, why aren't there more books about it?

Chanelley said...

I totally agree, Kaitlin. I like reading about college life! I am that life! I think they way it happens is to start off your first book in high school and then take them to college. That way you get the younger readers interested too.
I dunno, it's an odd industry sometimes!

Sarah said...

I wanna read characters in their 20s!!! I guess I must be the oddball in the world. I would love to pick up a fun book one day about people my age.