Wednesday, November 18, 2009

RTW: The influence of music

This week's topic is hard/easy for me to answer--songs we associate with our WIPs. I like to write with music sometimes, but more often than not, it just distracts me. I also find that if I try to associate things in my WIPs with music while I'm writing, I end up not writing it the way I want, because I'm trying to fit it to a mood someone else has already created. I don't think everyone has this problem--just me, probably.


I have vague playlists for both Ignited and Unthawed, but only a couple random songs so far for my still untitled WIP. I might have to do what Kristin did and make an actual playlist to post on my blog, but I'm not sure I'm quite ambitious enough for that today.

Most of my playlist songs come from artists like Breaking Benjamin and Shinedown, because that's just what I listen to already. But I also find rock a really good music genre for inspiration. It's intense and moody and raw. And I want my writing to be like that--in the right places.

But if I had to pick just one song for each WIP, I think I can do it. I'll try:

Unthawed: I like both Second Chance by Shinedown and It's Not My Time by 3 Doors Down for this one. The first one more in relation to the end than to the majority of the book, and the second one I hope is more obvious (even if I sort of take my own meaning from the song rather than maybe what they intend...)

Ignited: Glycerine by Bush is kind of perfect. It's the best match of anything I listen to, anyway.

Untitled WIP: Life Is Beautiful by Sixx:A.M. Alright, so it doesn't fit perfectly, but I haven't really had time to think about this one, and this is my absolute favorite song in all the world, and some parts of the song, especially the second line "you can't live until you die" are really dead on.

4 comments:

Amanda Hannah said...

Intense and moody and raw . . . I love that description.

Stephanie Jenkins said...

Great song choices--I love, love, love Life is Beautiful. I agree with what you said about the direction of your writing changing based on the music on your playlist. Usually I pick a couple songs I think fit and play them on repeat.

Leila Austin said...

"Intense and moody and raw."

Oh, I spend so much of my writing life trying to find songs that fit that description. And I love Glycerine. It's rough and slow burning and melancholy.

Need to read your novels, dammit! Nudge me if you ever need a beta :-)

Kristin Miller said...

I agree that sometimes music influences me to write in directions I wasn't intending to write. Sometimes that's a good thing, but not always. I love your songs - I'm an old school Bush fan. :)