Wednesday, November 11, 2009

RTW: What I read (besides YA)

So this week's topic is nice and simple. Because we all write and read plenty of YA, but it can't be all we read.


I think it goes without saying that I read a lot of books that are more pictures than words--it's kind of part of the deal when you have an eighteen-month-old. I'm very over-critical and particular about these. Since I'm reading them out loud, I don't like when they rhyme but have no rhythm. It makes it very hard for me to read them in a pleasant sounding way. But a lot of them are better than you'd think. (Michael is especially fond of one called Five Little Ducklings. I think this is more because of the soft ducklings he can grab to easily turn the page than the story, though.)

I also read a fair amount of MG, mainly because my mom reads a lot (she teaches fifth and sixth grade and likes to know what they're reading) and she recommends things to me. MG can be awesome.

And adult. I like fantasy. So mostly when it comes to adult books (I don't know how to say that. The way I'm saying it makes it sound like something you get in the curtained off section in the back of the video store...) I read fantasy. I won't list all the fantasy I've read, since there's quite a lot. I also read the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel. This is apparently considered fantasy (at least by some?) but in my opinion, that's wrong. It's historical fiction, and then any fantastical things that happen (the only one I recall off the top of my head involved rituals and talking to ancestors) could easily be explained away because I'm pretty sure there were hallucinogens involved. Nothing read like fantasy. I could rant about that, but I won't. Anyway, loved it because of the prehistoric times. Wasn't such a fan of the fourth book in the series basically being an excuse for the two characters to have sex frequently throughout the entire book. Wasn't a fan of some of her descriptions that went on way too long. Was really super extremely impressed by the research and effort that went in. Loved when mammoths made appearances. I've read several books by Stephen King. Some Nora Roberts and other authors like that because my mom likes them and they were around.

And I read plenty of other things as well. I'm not so into non-fiction (unless my parenting books count. Thank you What to Expect in the First Year!) But I like to read magazines when I get my hands on them--Reader's Digest, mainly. Sometimes trashy tabloids. Some of my boyfriend's boy magazines, if they have good articles. (They do sometimes! This is not a myth.)

It's probably a long and meandering way to say that I will read pretty much anything, if it's near me and I've got the time.

6 comments:

Lee Bross said...

In my younger days I was all about the bodice ripper historical romance novels. Couldn't.Get.Enough. Go Johanna Lindsey and Kathleen Woodiwiss! LOL

Since I started writing YA, I find I gravitate towards it more now. I don't think its a conscious choice so much as I just really enjoy it. So much different than what was around when I was 16!!

Kaitlin Ward said...

hehehe bodice ripper. I just love the mental image that comes into my head whenever I see/hear that phrase.

Michelle Schusterman said...

I am totally in agreement with your thought's on Earth's Children. Definitely not fantasy in any way, shape, or form.

Kaitlin Ward said...

I'm glad you agree, Michelle. Wikipedia calls it 'historical fantasy' (or more accurately, 'prehistoric fantasy') It's their one example, so maybe they couldn't think of any examples (I certainly can't) so they tossed it in and hoped it'd slide.

I feel like a loser now for having commented twice on my own blog post haha.

Kristin Miller said...

Lol, part of the comments section is for interacting with your readers. I completely forgot about all the picture books I read to Aine, all the educational reading I do, and all the books of Aidyn's I read.

Leila Austin said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about rhyming books that don't scan well. I've always been fussy, and working at the bookshop has made me even fussier. If you have to read something 982347 times, it has to be nice to read. Otherwise it's just parental torture in book form.

Haven't tried reading bodice rippers yet, I should give them a go ;-)