Wednesday, December 9, 2009

RTW: A quick and fun questionnaire

So this week, I'm answering three questions that SEEM simple and easy to answer, but they are so not.


Question one: What are the best three books you've read this year?
Okay, this question would almost be easier if it were what one book. So, my three best. Eeeeeek. It's hard to choose between...five books (or technically seven, but I'm a cheater.) I'll try to narrow it down.
1) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I read this in May (or June?) and was dying by the time Catching Fire (which totally counts as the same book) came out at the start of September. It is just. so. good.
2) The Shifter by Janice Hardy. I expected to like this book, but I didn't expect to adore it as much as I did. It is awesome. The world building, the characters, the plot, it was all great.
3) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I think Kirsten makes everyone she knows read this book--and with good reason! It's amazing, and so very beautiful.
(I also really really loved The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan and Evernight and its sequel, Stargazer, by Claudia Gray...there, I cheated. And there are tons of other books too that could almost make this list, but I won't cheat THAT much.)

Question Two: If you could meet one author living or dead, who would it be?
Well, there are tons of living authors I'd love to meet, but I'd like to be optimistic and say I could still meet them one day! So...I think I'd like to pick someone whose writing is so well known now, but who probably never realized they'd be so very everlasting (because even if you're cocky, how could you ever guess?) Shakespeare comes to mind, but he'd probably be boring to talk to. I kind of think Mark Twain might actually be an interesting person. I think I would go with him.

Question Three: What book are you most looking forward to in 2010?
This one is hard too. It splits three ways (I KNOW the question says one. I can't do it. So in order of when in 2010 they'll be released...)
1) Hourglass by Claudia Gray--the third book of her Evernight series. Since I couldn't put down the first two, I've been looking forward to this next one for MONTHS.
2) The third Hunger Games book, because how could I possibly not be looking forward to it?! I will probably be dying for it by the time the thing comes out.
3) The Duff by Kody Keplinger. Because it's awesome and I can't wait to read it in its shiny, published version.

If you haven't yet entered the amazing giveaway on YA Highway, you definitely will want to visit today, because we've added a mini giveaway. Even if you win the mini giveaway, you aren't disqualified from the big one, so enter enter enter if you haven't!

17 comments:

Amna said...

I want to meet Shakespeare <33

My teacher has the biggest crush on him and his plays lol.

Nice post!

Amanda Hannah said...

I forgot about Hourglass coming out!

V said...

Third Hunger Games book...*craves*

I learned from an english professor that Mark Twain had a closet full of white suits, which is, oddly enough, something he shares with Anne Rice, who apparently wears a lot of white. I don't know how she knew all of this, but it makes me think you're right-- Mark Twain probably would be an interesting person to meet!

Michelle Schusterman said...

Demon's Lexicon and Shifter are at the top of my list. I can't believe I haven't read either yet.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

Meeting Shakespeare would be funny. Does he time-travel, or do you?

I need to read Demon's Lexicon and The Shifter. It's so fun having good books to look forward to. The pubs just keep rollin' em out!

Kody Keplinger said...

Aw, thanks for the mention, Kaitlin!!!

I realize I need to read more...*still hasn't read Hunger Games or Jellicoe Road*

Kaitlin Ward said...

My heavens, woman, get readin!

LizPage said...

Everyone's talking about The Duff. I have to look into it!

Eric said...

I can't wait for the third and final book of the Hunger Games, now that we have A release date, I can finally Get excited!

-Eric
http://themockingjay.vndv.com

Kate said...

I used a Mark Twain quote in my wedding vows. If you meet him, give him a high five for me.

Kaitlin Ward said...

Oh, I will definitely high five him for you, Kate.
And he'll be confused because they didn't do high fives back then, but I bet he'll like it anyway ;)

Kate said...

Of course he will! Teach him the fist bump, too, while you're at it.

Leila Austin said...

Man. I really really need to read The Demon's Lexicon. And bring on Hunger Games no.3!

And seriously, I'd love to meet Shakespeare. I've always loved him. I'd want to tell him that people are still studying and watching his plays hundreds of years later and see how he reacts. And I'd ask him whether he actually wrote them or not, so that years and years of endless scholarly debate could be put to rest.

Kaitlin Ward said...

That's why I think it'd be cool to meet someone like Shakespeare, just to see how they'd react to learning that someone is still studying their writing.

YA Highway said...

testing....

look, we can comment via yahighway now!

YA Highway said...

hmm, we need a photo

Leila Austin said...

Maybe a moose photo? :-)