Wednesday, December 2, 2009

RTW: Where I admit my literary crushes

Warning: this is not going to be nearly so profound as I wish it would be. My rational side thinks my literary crushes should be very different than who I actually choose. And if my boyfriend reads this—I still love you most.

I sort of liked the way Leila did this, so I’m going to shamelessly copy her and do section one: authors I want to be and section two: characters I would want to be with if they were real.

Section one: aka where I become scarily fangirlish.

First and foremost, I have a small obsession with things written by Garth Nix. I don’t know what it is exactly, but I just love his writing. I’m pretty sure Shade’s Children was the first dystopian I ever read, and it’s still my favorite (or maybe it’s tied with The Hunger Games.) It’s so different and so interesting. That’s what I like about his writing. It’s just interesting. And it makes me feel inspired.

I’m also in awe of Suzanne Collins for her world building. And JK Rowling for the same reason. Thinking about all the work and backstory and world building that went into Harry Potter makes me a little dizzy, actually. I don’t care if you were one of the few people who weren’t a fan of this series, you’ve got to respect her for that. And hell, I think I have to throw Philip Pullman in here too. The His Dark Materials trilogy was nothing if not complicated.

I have kind of a new envy of Melina Marchetta for her amazing, beautiful descriptions. She makes it seem so much easier than it is.

Section two: aka the fun section.

The first crush I ever remember having on a character was Will from the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. This has changed over the years—Will is twelve, and while I first read that book when I was thirteen or maybe fourteen, I’m now double his age. I still love him, but differently! I also had (um, have) quite a thing for Lord Astriel, because he’s pretty badass. I mean, he wants to do something and he does it. Creating a giant connection between worlds? No problem. Trying to kill God? Sounds easy enough.

And I can’t leave out Harry Potter—not the character, but the series. There are just so many better options to crush on than poor little Harry. For me, Sirius Black is #1, with Fred Weasley in second. Sirius, because, well, YUM. He survived (and escaped!!) Azkaban, and he was the one on the good side that I thought was most likely to do something that might be considered “bad” if he had to. I don’t know why that’s an attractive trait to me. But it is. Fred, I’m not actually sure why I find him so attractive. And even more curiously, why it is absolutely certain in my mind that I like Fred and care nothing whatsoever about George, his identical twin. There’s just something. I also kind of want to be Ginny (book Ginny—movie Ginny is so blah). People seem to love her or hate her, but I liked how she grew into herself as the series progressed, and she was a pretty strong person, by the end. When Harry went into his little emo we have to break up so I can save the world and you won’t be hurt moment, she didn’t break down about it, she just accepted it stoically. I thought that was awesome. Although if I were her, I would’ve said, “No thanks, Harry, I’m leaving you for Malfoy.” Oh which reminds me I also kind of love Draco Malfoy.

I think the rest of my literary loves come from more recent stuff. Not that Harry Potter isn’t recent, but in the scheme of things. I really liked Prince Brigan from Fire by Kristin Cashore. He was a great love interest, because he was all soldiery and awesome, but he was also very sweet sometimes. Seth, from Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. Seth doesn’t fit my usual likes, because he’s actually more sweet than he is anything else. Sometimes that’s nice. I think I mainly liked that when Aislynn told him about being able to see faeries and all of that, he didn’t freak out and try to flee, he said, “okay, what do we do about it?” It was obvious he cared about her a lot, but he also thought about what he wanted. Especially in Fragile Eternity (the third book) I thought he got even better. Murtagh, from Eragon by Christopher Paolini is also awesome. He’s the only reason I’ve stuck with that series, even though obviously Christopher Paolini doesn’t love him the same way because Murtagh has not had nearly enough scenes since the first book. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I just thought Murtagh was one of the most flawed and well developed characters. Actually, no. He was the best developed by far. He has the most interesting past, the most interesting personality, and the most reasonable behavior.

My three biggest crushes at the moment, in no specific order: Nick, from The Demon’s Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. He is insanely awesome. He literally does not understand how to feel things like love. I know, an attractive trait, right? But he is so dangerous and straightforward and he’s kind of perfect, in a twisted way. Balthazar from Evernight by Claudia Gray. I’m aware he’s not the love interest of the book. This only makes him better, because it means he’s free for me. If I’m going to be going after a vampire, I’m going to do it right. I wouldn’t want one who was constantly emoing out, I’d want one who could actually protect me from danger. I like that even though Balthazar might’ve wished he had never been made a vampire, he accepted it, made the best of it. He does things right and he makes mistakes, but he’s the kind of vampire that makes vampires actually sexy. And Gale, from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I’m pretty sure Kristin wants to strangle me every time I say this, because of how few and far between his scenes and lines are. But he is just…awesome. Every time he does have a scene, he’s doing something great. He does things for Katniss that he thinks she needs rather than what she wants. He’s brave and strong, and he is just great.

That’s probably about good enough. And long enough. Visit YA Highway to see what everyone else said!

9 comments:

Amanda Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin Miller said...

Admission: I haven't read His Dark Materials.

I know, I know. Cause you talk about those cuties all the time. I'll get to it. Next year. :)

Tere Kirkland said...

Ahh, Gale. I'm not sure how or why, but as I re-read THG, he's winning me back over from "Team Peeta", lol.

Fun post!

Chanelley said...

Love your list, Kaitlin!

La-La-La-Laurie said...

Everyone is a Fred fan, but I was a total George fangirl. I think I like the underappreciated twin.

I was also a Ginny hater :P

Leila Austin said...

Love Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling, Philip Pullman and Melina Marchetta. Need to read Shade's Children and Fire! And especially need to read The Demon's Lexicon, because people keep saying awesome things about it, and my next WIP probably involves demons.

And yeah. I always had a bit of a Sirius crush as well. And there is definitely something about Balthazar.

Lee Bross said...

You and Leila have the most thought out, comprehensive lists! LOL I'd have just made a list of names, hehe

Kristin said...

I'm a huge fan of Gale too. Peeta is just too...nice. Perfect. And he has a funky name. :P

Michelle Schusterman said...

Okay, that HP rant cracked me up.