Saturday, December 19, 2009

Why, hello there, new WIP

First of all, I have to direct you to Kirsten Hubbard's blog, because I received a package very similar to this, and, as you might guess, I am now in food Heaven. I lack self-control, though, so I dug in long before even thinking about taking pictures. Kristin Miller's baked goods are as delicious as they look when she blogs about them.


When you've returned from drooling, I'm going to ramble a bit about my WIPs.

I set myself up to be very busy for the next couple months or so. I'm not sure how it happened this way, but it did. I just finished a rough draft of my WIP titled (for the moment) Dead and Alive. It's so petite--53,000 words, which is a fantastic length. I surprised myself, though. Usually, I'm not nearly so succinct!

When I was nearly finished with it, I had my usual 'what will I write when I'm done with this?' panic. It wasn't dire, because it isn't like I'm not busy. But my ideas usually stay as strange little floating objects that don't really form into anything until I remind my brain that maybe it's about time it formed one into something.

It formed me a high fantasy WIP. And I think, I think, it might just be sort of kind of unique. Which is something I've always always always wanted. I love high fantasy, but it's so very hard to come up with a plot, characters, and everything else that stands out from the rest. I anticipated it being a couple of months before I was ready to write this, but that wasn't the case, because it came to me a lot more suddenly than I expected, so I'm already writing it (a little bit) now. This is what will keep me busiest, once I get going.

In the meantime, I'm editing Unthawed. Its middle section (mainly) had a little bit of a makeover a couple months ago, and then I set it aside for space and simmering. Now I'm doing the more difficult job of making it polished, and cutting out words and pieces of scenes that aren't needed. I hope to be done soon, because I really want to start querying it again! (Even though this is probably the most awkward time of the year to be querying). It wasn't horrifying before, but it's definitely going to be more ready this time.

So I'm in a fun cycle of balancing writing and editing, and it's so much fun.

This is probably all you'll hear from me about the about the high fantasy, because I fully intend to be weirdly silent about it. It's just easier that way.

I hope everyone else is having as much fun with their writing, and I hope this post didn't bore anyone to death!

6 comments:

Amna said...

No, it didn't bore anyone to death!

I'm excited about your new WIP!

I haven't done ANY writing or editing. I know, bad bad Amna

Amanda Hannah said...

Ohhh! I'm so excited to read Dead and Alive!! And cannot wait to hear more about high fantasy!

John Rea-Hedrick said...

I'm looking weirdly forward to hearing more of your weirdly silence about your high fantasy WIP. :-)

Kirsten Hubbard said...

I will go ahead and second John on that.

Michelle Schusterman said...

Aww, I want to know more! *pouts*

Kaitlin Ward said...

*lapses into silence*
I'm sure little random things will leak out. Don't fear.
:)