Thursday, December 31, 2009

YA Highway's epic book survey!

I'm doing this just for fun. But Kirsten Hubbard made this survey for YA Highway. If you fill it out on your own blog, be sure to post your link at YA Highway, and you can win a copy of Fire by Kristin Cashore (an awesome book!)

BOOKS

  • Most imaginative: This one is hard...I can't settle on one, because so many were imaginative in different ways.
  • Scariest: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. Obviously not in a horror movie way, but I didn't sleep much that first night after I read it.
  • Edgiest contemporary: Living Dead Girl again. By far.
  • Creepiest SF/dystopia: Hmm. I guess The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I mean, zombies are creepy.
  • Most evocative historical: I didn't read anything historical this year. Eek.
  • Best love story: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

SCENES
  • Scariest: I think I could pick a few scenes from The Hunger Games or Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins where I was terrified for the characters. Also, the end of Candor by Pam Bachorz.
  • Most disturbing: Every last line of Living Dead Girl.
  • Steamiest: There were a couple pretty good steamy makeout scenes in both Evernight and Stargazer by Claudia Gray.
  • Most exciting: My heart didn't stop pounding through the whole end of Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.
  • Biggest tear-jerker: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. I cried pretty good. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta was also moving.
  • Best plot twist/revelation (no spoilers!!) : Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins surprised me, and I didn't expect it to, so that made the surprise extra awesome.

CHARACTERS
  • Best couple: Brigan and Fire from Fire by Kristin Cashore were awesome. Aislynn and Seth in Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. Jonah and Taylor in Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
  • Who you'd want as your best friend: Nya from The Shifter by Janice Hardy, or Katniss from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Both are pretty kickass, but also seem like people I could get along with.
  • Who you fell in love with: Gale from The Hunger Games. Nick from The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. Balthazar from Evernight by Claudia Gray. Those are my top three.
  • Worst (best?) villain: Oscar's father in Candor by Pam Bachorz, because he was a villain of the worst sort: the kind who doesn't even realize they are one. Ray from Living Dead Girl for the same reason (and many more reasons. Just...ew.)
  • Best character twist (who you loved, then hated, or vice versa): I know there were characters I had a love/hate relationship with in books I read this year, but none are coming to me off the top of my head, so I guess this one will just be blank!
  • Best character names: Cabel, from Wake by Lisa McMann, and Fire (and Brigan) from Fire by Kristin Cashore.
  • Worst character names: Peeta. And Gale (but only after I realized Gale=Gail. This didn't connect in my brain, at first). Both from The Hunger Games. I wasn't a big fan of the name Po, either, from Graceling by Kristin Cashore, but I liked the character.
  • Favorite all-around kickass female: Katsa (Graceling) and Katniss (Hunger Games) were both pretty kickass. And Nya from The Shifter.
  • Favorite all-around kickass male: Nick (The Demon's Lexicon) and Brigan (Fire).

MISCELLANEOUS
  • Best book cover: I really love the cover of Fire by Kristin Cashore, Wake and Fade by Lisa McMann, Break by Hannah Moskowitz, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, and Ironside by Holly Black. Probably more, too. It was a year of pretty cool covers.
  • Best title: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.
  • Most memorable voice: The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. Something about it was just so distinct.
  • Most memorable first line: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. "I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves."
  • Best setting: The Forest of Hands and Teeth had a chilling/beautiful setting, with its forests.
  • Most beautiful writing: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...
  • Will any of the books you've read in 2009 make your life list of Favorite Books? Yes! Several did, actually. Evernight by Claudia Gray, The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan, The Shifter by Janice Hardy, Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
So there you are. A lot of books are on there multiple times, probably because I mostly tried to do everything from memory. I read some wonderful books this year, and I hope to repeat the trend in 2010!

5 comments:

Kirsten Hubbard said...

yay! you should link to this on YAH's comments section.

This reminds me to read The Shifter, Demon's Lexicon and Candor. *skips off to library holds list*

Kaitlin Ward said...

Oh, I will! I forgot to.
/fail.

Leah Michelle said...

I really need to read The Shifter and Candor. I keep hearing a ton about them. Just don't have much money.
Great list, Kaitlin! You've given me some recs :D

Michelle Schusterman said...

Nice! I concur on many of these. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is a KILLER title.

Jenny said...

Brilliant list- and now I have a load of book on my to-read list!