Monday, February 1, 2010

NYC

As lots of you probably already know, I went to NYC this weekend. Let me just say, it was AWESOME. It started off mildly scary, though. I was worried I would miss my train/take the wrong train/have some other train related mishap.


But I didn't.

And once I escaped from the maze that is Grand Central Terminal, I walked the couple blocks to the hotel--and didn't get hit by a single cab--and met the lovely Kirsten Hubbard in the lobby. It was so weird, because you'd think meeting someone in person for the first time would be at least slightly awkward, but it wasn't at all! And it was also not awkward when we picked up Kody Keplinger from the bus station. It was probably so perfect and unawkward because they are both so amazing and adorable.

We had a great time at the Kidlit drink night on Friday, although eek at the prices of drinks! Kody and I kept poor Kirsten up with our chatting (because crazy Kody is practically an insomniac, and I can't resist late night slumber party chats). I wrote/ate while they went to the SCBWI conference on Saturday, and then we proceeded to have pretty much the best night ever!

We had dinner with some, as Kody calls them, "publishing geniuses". Who are also awesome people. It was such a great time because we had so much to talk about. Who doesn't want to spend their evening talking about books and writing?? There will also be some can't-miss vlogs from this dinner on YA Highway. Pubtips + hilarity = these vlogs.

Later that night, we went to Times Square (because, why wouldn't you go to Times Square at midnight when it's freezing outside?) It was way too cold, but still pretty, and we had fun. We kind of fail at hailing cabs, though. Kirsten got the hang of it on Sunday. Kody and I made her be the brave one.

On Sunday afternoon, we went to The Strand. If only it were a chain store! It has books at insane prices. Kind of like Heaven. And I got something new to read for the train ride home.

Getting back on the train to go home was bittersweet. I mean, you always have to go home sometime! But I will miss Kirsten and Kody, and it was just such a great weekend that it was hard to come down from.

I'm already thinking ahead to the possibility of SCBWI LA with more of my YA Highway lovelies. Let's hope!

8 comments:

Chanelley said...

Sounds like you had the most amazing time! And if you go to the LA version, I'm definitely saving and visiting too. :D

Jen said...

AMAZING!!! I am glad you had a fantastic time!!! LA HERE YOU COME!!! *laughs*

bclement412 said...

I IZ JEALOUS! Sounds like a ton of fun.

Joanna said...

It was great to hang out with you, Kaitlin!!

LM Preston said...

That sounds awesome! I love NY and especially when hanging out with other writers. You are definately making me want to do this next year.

可愛的動畫圖片 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kaitlin Ward said...

It was great hanging out with you, too, Joanna!

Kirsten Hubbard said...

hooray!!

"because, why wouldn't you go to Times Square at midnight when it's freezing outside?"

I KNOW, RIGHT?

SO fun. WANT to go back.