Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Two for Tuesday

The lovely Kate Hart started this last week, for those of us who aren't doing teaser Tuesday for one reason or another, and it seemed fun. All you have to do is post two of anything that are somehow related.


In my epic coolness, I chose: awesome castles. I like castles and ruins and other such things. I think Kate intended for these to be cooler/more exciting but I...don't care. heh.

This first one is, of course, "Dracula's castle". Its actual name is Bran Castle, and it's located in Romania. I'm not sure why this one was the one to get the label of Dracula's castle, because it's not the only one linked to the legend (and Bram Stoker probably knew nothing of any of these castles). The common theme seems to be having some relation to Vlad the Impaler, the totally disturbing dude (do I need to explain why, or does his name explain it?) who supposedly inspired the Dracula character. Vlad likely used this castle when he was doing his evil deeds in Transylvania. Hence its reputation.


The other castle is nowhere near so cool (in my opinion), but it looks cool. This castle is called Eilean Donan, and it's in Scotland. It's on a little island and connected to the mainland by a footbridge! (I find this cool. Be quiet, if you don't.) I purposely chose the creepiest looking picture I found--it's actually not creepy looking at all. Apparently it gets used in movies a lot, and according to a random website I found, you can rent it on a day-by-day basis. (Anyone want to go in on it with me?)

There you have it, my two for Tuesday.

6 comments:

Kate Hart said...

I intended nothing at all-- this is the most random meme ever. LOL And I LOVE seeing all the different things people are coming up with. Castles are awesome. As are you.

Chanelley said...

Love those castles! I would so visit them with you.

houndrat said...

Look at you with your educational post. *pats Men Without Hats* There, there--it's okay.

Srsly, tho, love the photos..and I'm totally in on a castle rental! Only, not the Vlad the Impaler one, just bc...ew.

V said...

...Me and the BF check these "lists of cool stuff" sites all the time, and every time there's a castle one, we're both like "OOH! AWESOME."

So I totally get the castle thing.

Becca said...

I LOVE castles!! <3

Andrea Lorange said...

I love castles! They're such a romantic idea.
I've actually been to good ol' Vlad's castle. I was about 7 or 8 years old and my parents told me about the whole Dracula thing just as we were about to enter. I searched madly for some garlic (to ward off the vampires) and when I couldn't find any, I crossed myself repeatedly as I entered (and I'm not even Catholic):). Freaked me out! The dungeon, where all of the torture devises are, was closed for renovations. I was very thankful! My brother was disappointed of course (he wanted to try one on his little sister).