Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dear immune system: I love you

What? The title of this post doesn't seem to have anything to do with writing? That's because...it doesn't. But every time I get (and recover from) a cold or other illness, I'm reminded of how great my immune system is.


And why is my immune system so great, you might wonder? Well, I'm sure it's partly to do with genetics and luck (yes, luck.) But I owe significant thanks to some large furry beasts called cows. (Ok, so that picture on the left there is a water buffalo. In Italy. But isn't it cute?? I'm also in Italy on the right. I just didn't have any pictures of my beautiful Jerseys on the computer!)

I think the cows can probably share credit with chickens and cats and horses and dogs and slimy things I found in the pond. But growing up on a farm around the animals and the dirt and the nature was very good for my body. It had to build up an immunity to all sorts of strange things.

The point of me blogging about this? Partly because I came across the awesome picture of myself patting the even more awesome cow and wanted to use it somewhere. But mostly because I am thankful for where I grew up. But just because other people might not have grown up on a farm like me doesn't mean it's too late! Go outside. Pet an animal. Play in the mud.

Enjoy nature, just because it rocks.

7 comments:

Becca said...

I didn't know you grew up on a farm!!! That's precious. <33

Emilia Plater said...

You are twice as adorable as that adorable little calf and I love you :D I grew up in the woods and a probably mold-filled home, which isn't as good as a farm, but STILL. Yay for non-sanitized, non-disinfected childhoods!

Lisa and Laura said...

How cool that you grew up on a farm! Love the pics and I'm totally jealous of your immune system.

Jenny said...

We have cows on the hills and farming land behind my house. But they scare me- I got chased down a hill by them before! Haha, great pictures though!

John Rea-Hedrick said...

Kaitlin,

Thanks for that udderly mooooving tribute to our partners in biosphere. What would we, not to mention our cookies, do with out them?

:)

corrinejackson said...

Ah! I grew up in the suburbs. Maybe that's why my immune system sucks and every illness gloms on to me. Great pic! :-)

J.S. Wood said...

I'm so jealous. I always wanted to grow up on a farm. Love the post!