Wednesday, April 28, 2010

RTW: Best book I've read this month

Okay, confession: I have been a total reading slacker this month. I have done a few beta reads, and I did a lot of writing and editing, so I certainly haven't been idle with my time. But yeah. I'm a little bit ashamed of my lack of published book reading this month. And I'm going to kind of cheat. Just this weekend/the early part of this week, I reread LIRAEL by Garth Nix, keeping a close eye on how he does world building. It TOTALLY counts as a book I read this month, because I did read it, but it's probably not fair to the poor other (two) books I read this month because it's already one of my favorites.


But whatever. It rocks. It's actually the middle book of the ABHORSEN trilogy, but the first book, SABRIEL, could have stood on its own. The next two take place twenty-ish years later and go together. The awesome thing about LIRAEL is that everything about the book is so vivid, and it takes place in a completely different world than our own, but he doesn't need 700 pages to get the story out. It's just awesome. That's really all.

Everyone should read it ASAP. (Maybe start with SABRIEL, though, even though it's not strictly necessary that you do.)

So what was the best book YOU read this month? Wander over to YA Highway and share!

6 comments:

Sarah Enni said...

Sounds awesome! Anytime a book is so good that fans read and re-read it, that says plenty about its quality.

Kate Hart said...

I'm not big on fantasy, but I guess if you keep fangirling over him, eventually I'm going to have to read it. :)

Kirsten said...

I've been a reading slacker, too...oops! I read Sabriel a while ago, and I'll definitely have to look into this next one!

LizPage said...

Man, now this has to go on my TBR list, because you made it sound awesome.

Sandy Shin said...

I have read SABRIEL but not LIRAEL. Will definitely be trying this out! :)

Kirsten Hubbard said...

nice new blog :)