Wednesday, April 7, 2010

RTW: No Whining

This week's topic is inspired by Colleen Lindsay's no whining week on twitter. So I am going to write some good things about the publishing industry. Visit YA Highway to post your link, and to see what my lovely amazing co-bloggers had to say!


So what is awesome about publishing?

1) It has given me something to strive for. I'm a SAHM, which is a full-time job in itself, as I'm sure many of you know. But writing has always been that thing I do instead of watching TV--or while watching TV. It's honestly gotten a lot more fun (about 97% of the time, anyway) since I decided I wanted to work toward getting published. Obviously I'm not there yet, but it's still a blast.

2) The people. Oh my God have I met some amazing people in or related to the publishing industry. Just visit Absolute Write on any given day--the YA subforum in particular--and you'll see. I won't be dramatic and sappy, but I don't know where I would be if it weren't for the wonderful people I met there. And that includes every single one of the YA Highway ladies, who go so far past being people I blog with. And outside of writers, there are so many agents and other publishing people who are also just genuinely awesome people.

3) Books!! There are books out there for everyone. And books rock.

I could probably say more loving things about the publishing industry, but I might start to ramble. So: the end!

8 comments:

Kirsten said...

So true! Love the bloggers and the agents ... and the books!

Amanda Hannah said...

I honestly don't think I'd be anywhere close to where I am in my writing if it weren't for AW. That place really is amazing.

Kristin Miller said...

I love that first one. Really, I love all three, but that first one speaks to me. Keep up the good work, babe!

Tahereh said...

YES. this.
this is SO TRUE.

<33333

Kate Hart said...

Same here, seconding Kristin. It's easy to lose yourself in parenting and let that become your sole identity. Writing has brought me back to my real self in a lot of ways.

elissa said...

ooh, I can totally identify with number one. I have a career outside of the home, but I really need to have something I'm personally working toward.

Medeia Sharif said...

I've met wonderful people online and in person. And the books are more goodies for me to read.

Michelle Schusterman said...

Yup, #1 hits the nail on the head!!! Love this post.