Wednesday, May 5, 2010

RTW: Pictures

This week's topic is pretty fun. Photos that inspire your WIP. To be completely honest, I generally tend to find images after I write something, because I prefer to find an image that matches the vision in my head rather than the other way around, but I have my little collection saved on my computer from my BFF, google images.

Unthawed
To sum it up roughly: YA speculative fiction set in a future ice age. Maybe the best setting I will ever have in a WIP. We've got some ice formations, some mammoths (so, they were only featured in one brief scene. Whatever!) and an ice tunnel.







So Dead
Really hard (for me) to find pictures for. It's not setting heavy, and I don't like to try to find pictures of my characters. I did find one picture that satisfied me, though.


New WIP
It has a title, but I'm only 95% set on it, so it's just WIP for now. Googling images actually helped me with this one because it has so many settings. Mainly forests and cliffs. I just picked a few faves, because I may or may not have about thirty related pictures on my computer...




Okay, so I would have to really stretch to relate that last one to my WIP (it's technically a treehouse!) but it's so amazing I am including it anyway. It looks better bigger, and you can see it here.

Visit YA Highway to see my co-bloggers' inspiring pictures, and to share your own!

14 comments:

Michelle Schusterman said...

So COOL! That last one is like...Treehouse Palace of the Evil Toad King. Just so bizarre and awesome.

Kate Hart said...

So Dead may not be setting-heavy, but that's almost exactly what I pictured!

Kristin Miller said...

YES! Treehouses and mammoths. Your pictures are awesome. I love the brilliant settings - the ice, the forest.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

awesome! you're such a settings girl like me. love them all. unthawed pics made me shiver.

Sarah Enni said...

Is your new WiP in AN EWOK VILLAGE?! Those pictures just made me so, so happy! I love how different everyone's settings are.

I was not familiar with the idea of putting images in a folder to reference while writing. I think I agree with you I like to write first and make up my own vision. But looking for pictures for this RTW was so awesome, and really inspiring.

Holly Dodson said...

Great pictures! The first ones made my teeth hurt they look so cold. I also love, love the tree house picture. Wonderful settings.

Abby Stevens said...

I LOVE this weeks's topic. And the idea of a YA novel set in a future ice age is so original, I wish it were on the shelf right now to read! Need anymore betas? :)

Sometimes I find images while I write if I'm having trouble picturing something, but I agree - I like the pictures to match my head rather than the othe way around.

The last set of pictures really has me wondering about your WiP! Looks awesome! :)

Rachele Alpine said...

I love the ice tunnel! I would hide in there! That looks like what some of my mornings are like trying to dig out of my house living in Ohio in the middle of winter! :)

Cory Jackson said...

These are beautiful! I like how different they all are for your various wips.

Jess said...

May I PLEASE live in that tree house village? And as far away from those icebergs as possible? Brrrrr.... Great idea for a setting, though!

Jenny said...

Some incredible pitures here- I like!

Kathleen said...

Okay - now I get your AW avatar.

Medeia Sharif said...

Awesome pictures. The first set reminded me of some of Jean M. Auel's book covers.

Kaitlin Ward said...

Medeia--now that I think about it, that mammoth pic, for sure, looks like one of her covers! Her books are amazing and can probably take partial blame for my prehistoric times obsession. :)

Jess--YES you can live in that treehouse village! Google it, there is one, for real. (In Costa Rica, nowhere near those icebergs!)

Abby--thank you! The future ice age WIP needs some reworking, but it might wander into the world one day.

Sarah--I was so tempted to use pictures of Ewok villages when I googled for treehouses. Because they are so. cool.

Thanks everyone for all the comments! <3