Wednesday, May 19, 2010

RTW: tattoos!

I'm going to be both serious and very not serious in this topic. You'll have to guess which is which. I hope it's obvious (it better be obvious). This week's topic is: What tattoo would you get to celebrate your book's success or to represent a favorite book?


This is, of course, assuming you would get a tattoo. But even if you wouldn't, pretend! I am a fan of tattoos. I only have one for now, but once you get that one, there's a constant undercurrent of wanting more. So I could easily see myself getting a book-related tattoo if I were to get to that exciting point where I had one actually getting published. And before I start, my deep philosophical thoughts on tattoos: you should, of course, give it a lot of thought before you etch something permanently on your body, but sometimes the meaning of a tattoo is simply that it has no meaning at all. Your body is your canvas, not anyone else's, so all that matters is that you love it (and won't be embarrassed by it when you're old.)

So here I go, with what I would get if one of my three most recent WIPs made it to debut status:


Unthawed. I would, of course, have to get a mammoth. But not just some pretty design I found on the internet. Only my own beauteous drawing skills will do. As pictured. (If you click on the image, I think you can view it in its full size where you can actually see it. I had to hand draw because on the computer was going badly, and it's in pencil so my camera struggled--hence also the strange coloring that makes it look like parchment or something.) Because mammoths, well, they're just cool. Even if they have very little to do with the story (okay, nothing to do with the story except a brief appearance at the beginning. They are still awesome.) And somewhere subtle, of course. Like...across my entire upper back.


So Dead. Since the book involves the Afterlife, what with my dead-returned-to-life MC and all, I would have to get some kind of badass Afterlife depiction tattoo for this one. Yes, I know the Afterlife as I describe it in the book looks nothing like that picture (which is related to, or directly from some version of Dante's Inferno). But it's so cool. (Or maybe I just really can't think of anything at all I could get that goes well with this book specifically.)



New WIP. I found this one easier than the other two. Because there actually are tattoos in it, so it makes it easy to figure out what I would get to represent it. One of the love interests (that's right, I'm love triangling it in this one) has tattoos written in a fictional language (fictional as in I made it up, not fictional within the book's world) up his spine. The way I picture the language looking is closest to Arabic of anything else that actually exists. So I could get phrases written in Arabic up my back. (I can hear my boyfriend's brain exploding from miles away at the idea of me getting a tattoo that big.)


In all actuality, despite how much I seriously do love the Arabic tattoo idea, I would most likely get a tattoo in celebration of, but not actually related to, my books. I think 'because I have a book coming out' is as good a reason as any to get a tattoo. The next one I want for real is something along the lines of this cross. (Without dragons, though. But I do like the way they're twisted around it, so I think I would add something else to replace them.) 


So that's it for me. What would you get? Visit YA Highway to see what others have said, and to add your own link!   

20 comments:

Lee Bross said...

Mine wouldn't be something from a book, but I would (and plan to) get more tattoos to celebrate the successes!

I tend to go traditional. I want the astrological signs of my boys on my wrist, calla lilies (if I can find a decent rendering!) on my shoulder, and about another dozen ones I can think of off the top of my head! LOL Needless to say I love them.

Selling my books might become dangerous at some point, hehe. No more skin left to ink!

Krista Ashe said...

Ooh, great choices! I loved the last cross. That is beautiful. Might have to steal that one!

Yeah, a tractor or manwhore wouldn't be a great idea for DHtP. I could go for wings for TG....okay, I think I might have to post myself cuz this is too fun! lOL

I've said it, and you guys can hold me to it that if and when I sell a book, I'm getting a magnolia tatoo!

Holly Dodson said...

Oh, I think the made-up language tattoo would be super pretty. Although up your back would be huge and painful, but something small and meaningful could be amazing. Love the answers!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hmmm...I think I would choose a small daffodil, maybe on my ankle. :-)

Kristin Miller said...

I am all over that hand drawn tattoo, baby. Heck. Yeah.

Also, did you know Africa elephants are more closely related to Mammoths than they are to modern day Asian elephants?

Random elephant trivia from the zoo FTW.

Abby Stevens said...

And somewhere subtle, of course. Like...across my entire upper back.

That made me laugh out loud.

And I'm digging the wooly mammoth. Reminds me of THE FLINTSTONES for some reason. :)

Alicia Gregoire said...

I love the mammoth. There's so much room there to do designs inside too...

Michelle Schusterman said...

The mammoth is ADORABLE!!! In all seriousness, a teeny tiny mammoth on the inside of your ankle would be so cute. :P

Also, word verification "bonerin" ftw.

Pam Harris said...

Ooh! I love the cross one. It makes a statement, but looks cool as ice at the same time. :)

Kate Hart said...

The mammoth would be a good friend for the enormous moose we're getting on your back this summer.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

I like the idea of getting a tattoo but I hate needles. Although, if I did ever get one, I'd get two stars for my nieces. :)

Ellen said...

You should totally replace the dragons in that cross with mammoths.

Jamie D. said...

One of my tat's is in Greek, on my shoulder. It was way cool until the 5 millionth person asked me what it said. Now I keep it covered because it's annoying to have to translate for everyone who sees it. I'm seriously considering getting a cover-up job done on it. Just thought I'd warn you on the whole language thing. ;-)

My hubby doesn't like tattoos, so my inking days are over, but if I were to get a tat to celebrate a book coming out, I think I'd go with something general, like a stack of old books, an open book, or a feather pen and inkwell.

Or my covers, in miniature... ;-)

LizPage said...

I love the writing! That's so cool. But I do second Jaime D. I have Latin on my foot and people alwaysss ask. I guess I deserve it lol.

Emilia Plater said...

Ooh, I love the idea of writing up your back! "Spine" tattoos look incredible in a low-cut dress. Overall, so gorgeous... ESPECIALLY the mammoth. :D

Sarah Enni said...

The mammoth! I actually think that is awesome and adorable. It does look like you drew it on parchment in that picture, ha! Classy.

Alexa said...

The cross is pretty, I like that a tiny version of it would look amazing. I'd like a tattoo in a different language but the only problem is I wouldn't know of they actually translated it right :)

Kirsten said...

UP HIS SPINE. Wow. I've never heard of that before, but that's brilliant.

Amanda Hannah said...

That's quite a lovely mammoth picture!

I really like that cross, too. And I think it'd be awesome to get one like the LI and even put it in your made up language. No one would ever know what it says.

Medeia Sharif said...

I've thought about getting a book related tattoo, but I'm not sure yet.