Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two for Tuesday

So this two for Tuesday, a meme created by Kate Hart. I wasn't going to do it this week, but now I'm going to. It's: how my afternoon sucked, and then how it got better again.

1) how it sucked: I decided to go to the library, for the first time since I've moved here. There are lots of reasons I've procrastinated it, the main one being that I was turned off that it doesn't have an actual parking lot, just on-street, metered parking (25 cents for fifteen minutes!) But today I decided I really wanted to go. So I went. And their on-street parking? There's not much of it. And it was all filled. I won't rage on about the frightening journey I had to go on to get back home (because of course there was no easy place to turn around, either), but suffice it to say, it's 85+ degrees out today, and my car doesn't have AC. I brought water for Michael, but didn't think of it for myself. We also stopped at B&N on the way home, because I wanted to buy a book to make myself feel better, but their YA section is kind of lacking. Actually, there were TONS of good hardcovers, but I can't justify spending $17.99 on a hardcover just because I'm sad the library didn't work out today. So after taking Michael around the kids section for his own amusement, I poutily returned home.

2) how it got better: when I got home, there was a happy little package sticking out of my mailbox: Finnikin of the Rock, sent to me by Michelle (and she sent chocolate, too!) So now I'll have something to read, and I feel a little bit less pouty about the library. (Still mad, just the sting is out now).

...and on an unrelated note: drop by YA Highway this week, because we're having an anniversary celebration, and it, of course, includes kickass prizes. Prizes start tomorrow, the celebration starts today!

9 comments:

Sarah Enni said...

What the what? A library without parking?? That doesn't make any sense at all.

And I'm with you on the stinginess with hardcovers. Unless they come wrapped in library plastic (and therefore make the crinkly sound of childhood and leisure reading) they are a pain!

Holly Dodson said...

Our library has the worst YA section I've ever seen. Luckily, Borders has a great one or I'd go crazy.

Glad you had a nice surprise waiting at home!

Adventures in Children's Publishing said...

Yay for the blogiversary! Sad about your not-so-exciting library trip :(

Marissa

Sandy Shin said...

I'm sorry about your trip to the library! I can't imagine a library without parking. Our library has a huge parking that's sometimes full during peak hours.

Ooh, yay for FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK. I've heard many good things about it -- will have to check it out. :)

Kristin Miller said...

Even the libraries here in Seattle have parking! Well, downtown is pay after the first twenty minutes. But it's better than none at all! Insane. But I'm so glad your day ended on a high note. :)

Tahereh said...

wow. sad little library :(

i can only imagine your frustration, sheesh!

so happy things worked out okay, tho :P

Chanelley said...

Urgh - that would have annoyed me so much! I'm not surprised you were in a bad mood!

My own local library has one parking spot directly outside and then the rest is on street parking. But at least it's free.

Kaitlin Ward said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it shocking that they don't have a parking lot! It kind of worries me--does this mean reading is sort of lost in this city??

Michelle Schusterman said...

YAY!!! See, I'm actually a bit psychic, and I withheld Finnikin because I knew it would come at this exact moment that you would be feeling blue due to lack of bookage...

Yesss, that's right....

<3