Wednesday, June 30, 2010

RTW: Best book of June

I'm really liking that we have this monthly consistent topic. It's making me be sure not to neglect reading! This month, the best book I read by FAR was FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK by Melina Marchetta. It's not just one of my favorite books of the month, but one of my favorites ever. Before I say more, here is its synopsis, courtesy of Barnes and Noble's website:

Finnikin was only a child during the five days of the unspeakable, when the royal family of Lumatere were brutally murdered, and an imposter seized the throne. Now a curse binds all who remain inside Lumatere’s walls, and those who escaped roam the surrounding lands as exiles, persecuted and despairing, dying by the thousands in fever camps. In a narrative crackling with the tension of an imminent storm, Finnikin, now on the cusp of manhood, is compelled to join forces with an arrogant and enigmatic young novice named Evanjalin, who claims that her dark dreams will lead the exiles to a surviving royal child and a way to pierce the cursed barrier and regain the land of Lumatere. But Evanjalin’s unpredictable behavior suggests that she is not what she seems — and the startling truth will test Finnikin’s faith not only in her, but in all he knows to be true about himself and his destiny.

So. I am madly in love with fantasy, especially of the high and epic sort. And there are nowhere near enough of these in YA, in my opinion. This book had some minor problems, of course, as do all books. But it was so good overall that I don't even care. I loved--LOVED--that she kept with the awesomeness of the genre while also carving out her own little spot. I didn't feel like I was reading a book I'd already read. I didn't know what would happen when I turned the next page. And I was never bored. I think it could appeal to people who aren't as into this genre, too. The language felt legitimate for another world, while still maintaining readability.

I sent this one on its merry way to the lovely Amanda, but I will definitely buy a copy at some point, because I know I'm going to want to read it again.

What was the best book YOU read this month? Visit YA Highway to share, or to see what others said!

11 comments:

Nomes said...

Oh, yeah! I love love love this book too :) Which is surprising as I'm not really an epic fantasy kinda girl.

I linked your post to my blog :) (hope you don't mind!)

I've got to say though, I much prefer the Aussie cover of Finnikin...

xx

Girlinbetween said...

I've read her other books!

francesca, Looking for ALIbrandi and ofcourse Jellicoe road!

I must add this to my to read list!

Holly Dodson said...

This has been on my list for a while, but I'm moving it to the top now! Excellent review!

Kirsten said...

Ooh, this looks good! I haven't read high fantasy in a long time (except for Graceling) but I might just have to pick this one up :)

Sarah N Fisk said...

I've heard good things about this book. I have it on reserve at the library!

Sarah Enni said...

ooh, sounds awesome. Honestly, I think this is a book my mom would LOVE. She is a YA epic fantasy lover, big-time! (Plus I like recommending books to her and then borrowing them after she buys them. Cheap, FTW!)

Alexa said...

Such a great book, confirming Melina Marchetta as my all time favourite writer - she can do anything :-)

Shari Green said...

High fantasy isn't my thing at all, but maybe this is one I should try. And Melina Marchetta... okay, adding it to my list. ;)

Kirsten Hubbard said...

you know I love finnikin.
and evanjalin.

Medeia Sharif said...

I don't read many fantasy books, but this looks enticing.

Amanda Hannah said...

YAY!!!!
Can't wait to read this one :D