Wednesday, June 2, 2010

RTW: Best book of the May

Okay, I was a bad bad book reader again in May. In my defense, I did write tons. It's a thin defense, I know. I'll work on it. So,while I did reread Catching Fire near the start of the month, I think giving it my best book of the month post is kind of cheating (it's just unfair to other books. It's not their fault they can't live up to the wonder that is this series) so I'm going to pretend I read it in April. And in that case, the best book I read this month is a completely random, really old book: Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman. I used to love this book, according to my mom (I remember reading it in sixth grade or so, but didn't remember anything else about it). She brought a copy of it to me the last time she visited, and I read it a couple weeks ago. The summary, from Karen Cushman's site:

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to a rich man—any rich man, no matter how awful.
But by wit, trickery, and luck, Catherine manages to send several would-be husbands packing. Then a shaggy-bearded suitor from the north comes to call—by far the oldest, ugliest, most revolting suitor of them all. Unfortunately, he is also the richest.
Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actually lose the battle against an ill-mannered, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father? Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

It's very entertaining. The MC is fourteen (and this is historical fiction; medieval times), and the book is written in the form of her diary. She's spunky and hilarious. It's just a quick, fun read. Amazon says it's YA, in my super (un)professional opinion, it's more like upper MG, but is definitely worth reading if you like voicey things and historical fiction.

Visit YA Highway to see what my lovely co-bloggers read this month, and to link your own! Also, our anniversary giveaway is still going on, if you haven't entered it yet. The prizes are kick. ass.

And while I'm posting, because I'm too lazy to give it a post of its own, and because obviously posting it on twitter and facebook weren't enough: I got engaged this weekend! At the spot in that lovely photo above (I wish I could take credit, but the boy took that picture.) It's in the forest behind my parents' house in New Hampshire, where a sawmill was built (Brandon was standing on the sawmill's foundation for this picture, so it's not in the photo) in the 1700s, by the same ancestor who then built my house in 1790. And there's your random Kaitlin's family history lesson for the day. Good job picking the spot to do it, boyfriend...errr, fiancĂ©.

14 comments:

Holly Dodson said...

Aww, Congratulations!!! What a thoughtful proposal and fiance!

Jenny said...

Yay!! Congratulations! :D and what a beautiful place to be proposed to!

Sarah Enni said...

CONGRATS!! What a gorgeous place - might save that pic in my "inspiring pictures" folder.

And I totally remember reading that book in middle school, and liking it. Recently read it on a "best of YA" list and thought about picking it up again.

Kirsten said...

Eeeee congratulations! How exciting!

I did much more writing than reading in May, too... oh well. Writing is fun, what can I say!

Michelle Schusterman said...

1. Congrats again!!!!!!

2. I just got total goosebumps. I was in a little bookstore just a few days ago, and they had a "staff recs" shelf for children's books, and this book was on it and the cover totally caught my eye. I even have a picture. But I'd never heard of it. And now here it is!!!

WEIRD.

Alexa said...

Congratulations!

Lisa_Gibson said...

Congrats and what a gorgeous place!

Kate Hart said...

I saw that book on a "best of YA" list and forgot to add it to my list of things to read.

Congrats again, soon to be Mrs!

Kristin Miller said...

Congrats again!

I need to read this one. I haven't, but I keep coming across it and it sounds so good.

Jess said...

Congratulations! What a great place--nothing like starting your own history at a place with plenty of its own! :)

I have always been curious about CATHERINE, CALLED BIRDY. Adding it to my "To Read" list right.... now.

John Rea-Hedrick said...

Congratulations!

V.M.Pettingill said...

I think I said it a few times but congrats again!!! ;)

Amanda Hannah said...

Congratulations!! So exciting!
And I love that your mom brought you a copy of that book. so sweet.

Krista Ashe said...

Aw, what a beautiful and thoughtful place to do a proposal!!! I can tell you've got a keeper!!! Congrats and many blessings!