Wednesday, June 23, 2010

RTW: FML

This week's topic should be pretty hilarious: if your favorite literary characters used fmylife.com, what would they say? I can't guarantee mine will be hilarious, but I can guarantee that some of them are. I tried not to be spoilery. And not all of these are my ~favorite~ characters (particularly the ones at the bottom).

My favorite literary characters would be separated into people with actual problems:

"I really hope I don't die or get black lung in this coal mine before someone manages to overthrow the government. FML." --Gale* (Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins)

"When I left my crazy mom with the neighbor and went on a little romp through other worlds, I'm not sure I thought it through. Now I have this daemon I'm going to have to pretend is a pet, and there's that dude I kind of accidentally killed, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get sent to foster care. FML." --Will (His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman)

"Everyone in this world is dead except children. And me. FML." --Shade (Shade's Children by Garth Nix)

People whose problems are a little more standard, but you can still empathize with:

"I have to massage my stepsister's smelly feet, because if someone gives me an order, I have to listen. FML." --Ella (Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine)

"My boyfriend is going on about all his conquests again. And how misunderstood he is. If I have to listen to any more, I might stab out my eardrums. FML." --Ginny (Harry Potter by JK Rowling)

"I am the only good character in this series. Why do I appear on so. few. pages?? FML." --Murtagh** (Eragon by Christopher Paolini)

And the ones with problems so lame you want to laugh at them. Or slap them. Or something:

"Too many boys like me. And my boyfriend won't make me a vampire unless I marry him. I'm fine with an eternity as an undead creature, but MARRIAGE? FML." --Bella (Twilight by Stephenie Meyer)

"No one understands me. FML." --Harry*** (Harry Potter by JK Rowling)


Visit YA Highway to see what others have said, and to post your own link!


*I had a way better one for Gale, but opted for not spoiling Catching Fire for those of you crazies who haven't read it yet.
**What? You think I've read three books of that series for Eragon? No, I've read them for the brief Murtagh appearances FOR SURE.
***I do adore the books, but I like to tease poor Harry.

10 comments:

Holly Dodson said...

LOL I love your disclaimers.

Amanda Hannah said...

LOL "I'm the only good character . . ." lolololol greatness.

The Blue Lipstick Samurai said...

BAHA, Gale's made me giggle. And teasing Harry is the mark of a true HP fan. :D

btw- Word verification, 'unifork.'

Alicia Gregoire said...

Ha ha ha! The Murtagh one is hilarious!!!

Kirsten said...

Haha, the Harry one is great. Oh, Harry... love him.

LCD said...

Lol! The Ginny one was priceless. Poor, poor girl. :)

Kristin Miller said...

hahaha - poor Shade. That would be one massive FML!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Congrats, Kaitlin! I just read about your big news on signing with an agent. Way to go!!!!

Sarah Enni said...

This was such an awesome topic, I'm so mad I whiffed on it this week! p.s. award for you!! http://wp.me/sUnjt-823

Jill Wheeler said...

*snort* The Bella one is priceless!