Wednesday, July 28, 2010

RTW: Best book of July

As we do each month, this week's topic is: what was the best book I read in July. I read a lot in July. And good books, too. So picking The Best was pretty hard. But as you can assume from the giant picture on the left, I decided on THREE DAYS TO DEAD by Kelly Meding. It's not YA! I feel like I'm cheating on my genre, but I don't feel too guilty.

I've been interested in this book for a while. It's pretty, and the author is an AWer. I like to keep AWers' titles in mind when I'm book shopping, because let's face it: AWers are cool (at least, most of them).

The main reason this book won out as best book I read this month is that I took it with me on vacation and ignored everyone while I got enthralled. The characters are awesome, the writing is smooth, the plot is layered and interesting. I had no idea what was going to happen in the end and how/if the MC would manage to overcome the whole only allowed to live for three more days thing.

There was a lot of world-building to be done in this book; a multitude of paranormal creatures, people with abilities, explaining how this works while (most) humans have no idea. Yet it was woven in really well, with very few exceptions, and despite the fact that her world and creatures were very unique, I didn't have any trouble remembering the details that I learned.

So all in all, it was gripping, gritty, and just plain good.

What was your favorite book this month? Visit YA Highway to see what others said, and to link your own post!

11 comments:

Amanda Hannah said...

Yup. Going to be buying this one.

It's like we share a bookshelf in our brains.

Sarah Enni said...

Awesome! We both chose books that we read on vacation instead of hanging out with real people. I'm deciding that is a GOOD thing and we are NOT book-loving misanthropes.

Erinn said...

You bad@$$ for reading outside your genre. :-) Sounds like a great book. It's got an amazing title.

Cool

Girlinbetween said...

I also saw this book on AW!

(yay for supporting awers!)

I added it to my wish list :)

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

I keep seeing this on AW too :) But, havent noticed it here in my Aussie bookshops anywhere...

I think I just might get it online..

Kirsten said...

Go AW authors! That's so cool.

Kathleen said...

Love it--especially the bridge troll and the gargoyle.

KO said...

Interesting-- it's on my list!

reberto.alberto said...

Hi there!

Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

“Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

Happy writing!

Medeia Sharif said...

I haven't seen this before. I'll check it on Goodreads.

suzie townsend said...

OOOH! I think I have this in the TBR pile. Must take a look :)