Wednesday, August 11, 2010

RTW: What does your character hide in their underwear drawer?

...or other secret location.

We borrowed this prompt from Carolyn Mackler's presentation on creating characters, which several of us attended at LA SCBWI, and loved!

This was harder than I thought it would be, to be honest. Some of my characters are just not that into hiding things, others have nothing they need to hide. But here we go:

From SO DEAD:
-Olivia: I'm sure if I dug deeper I could think of something else, but the first thing that comes to mind is the letter she hides in her diary (in the story).
-Grayson: Anything he felt he needed to hide, he would destroy or throw out. Having a secret item hidden somewhere in his room would make him too uncomfortable.
-Olivia's brother, Taylor: His room is so messy that his mom avoids it whenever possible, but I think he would probably hide things like condoms and boy magazines in his underwear drawer, just in case (and maybe an issue of Cosmo he bought to try and learn more about girls...)

From UNTHAWED:
-Emma: Doesn't have many possessions to hide, or really any privacy at all. But she does hide poison inside a mattress.
-Dusty: A book he stole. Haven't figured out exactly where he'd hide it, though (again, lack of privacy in this world) but he's resourceful. He'd find somewhere.

What about you? What would your characters hide in their underwear drawers? Visit YA Highway to link your post and read others!

9 comments:

Kate Hart said...

Hmm, now I want to know about Unthawed, b/c I thought it was in the ice age but if she has a mattress... hmmm.

Kirsten said...

Poison! That totally intrigued me. These underwear drawer stories are kind of like mini-synopses or pitches -- so interesting!

CharTheShark said...

Yeah, it was hard for me to conceive this stuff too.
Poison in a mattress???
interesting...

Amanda Hannah said...

Grayson <3 that OCD guy.

Jess said...

I'm like Grayson--if I had anything secret hidden in my room, it would just nag at me all the time and drive me nuts. :)

Sarah Enni said...

Note to self: Must learn more about ice age mattress poisons.
These really are like mini-pitches! They instantly make me curios about each character. Love it!

Medeia Sharif said...

Poison in a mattress. Oh, do tell.

Great prompt. This has me thinking about what my characters would hide.

Jayne said...

What a good idea! And hello by the way :)

I think my main character would hide something she knitted for a baby in blue wool.

Dayana Stockdale said...

Hmmm...interesting question. My MC hides forbidden foods and her best friend hides...a pot pipe! Thanks for the mind game. I really had to think about that one!