Friday, September 10, 2010

Goals

In less than a week, I will be turning twenty-five. A quarter century. (I know, doesn't it sound scary when you say it that way?) I'm actually feeling pretty zen about this, which might surprise you if you saw how I reacted to turning twenty.

Since sometime in my early twenties, I've had three main before-thirty life goals: get married, have a baby, and have a house. More recently, I added selling a book to that list, because, why not be optimistic? Now, I have the baby, I'm getting married in March, and we'll see about the rest.

I hadn't thought too hard about this until lovely fellow YA Highwayer Lee Bross said something about making a five year plan on twitter. And they I thought, a five year plan? What a perfect time to do that. So I sat down, and I made one.

I like having goals because without having something to work towards, I tend to be a little all over the place. So now, I'm going into age twenty-five with new goals, one of them being not to worry so much about my age anymore.

6 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

Great to know I'm not the only one with a five-year plan! Here I thought I was being anal.

Mine involves being able to quit my job and support myself with my writing.

Congrats on achieving so many of your goals already!

Jenny said...

Ahh, I suck at plans. I have goals. But I'm more one who likes to see where stuff takes me and to just try and make the most of things! Good luck with your goals though- not worrying about age is an awesome one. :)

Summer Ross said...

its great to have accomplish-able goals. I reset my every once in a while because I have both short term and long term, though I've been concentrating more on short term :) Good luck!!!

Krista Ashe said...

Happy early Bday!! Yes, I've always been one for goals...maybe some not always realistic. I totally wanted the hubster and baby before 30...hmm, hasn't happened YET, lol. I do have the house....no book deal, although I did I have my almost, almost right after my 31st bday. I'm just hanging in there with what Cyndi Lauper said on the apprentice, "I didn't have a hit until after 30. Sometimes, life just starts at 30!" Hopefully you won't have to consider that mantra b/c you'll have a house in the boonies, er, um, rural area, some more kidlets, and have been published many times over by then! :)

Amanda Hannah said...

Woohoo! Happy early birthday!!

I don't have a five year plan, or really any sort of set plans. But I do push myself for continuous goals (more like a bucket list).
Knowing your goals is half the battle and it's great you already know yours!

Medeia Sharif said...

I have a five year plan, too. I need short and long term goals to keep me on track and motivated.