Wednesday, October 27, 2010

RTW: Best book of October

Sooo I didn't read all that much this month.

But I did reread THE GIVER, which I hadn't read in years. It had been just long enough that there were parts I didn't remember. As always when I reread something, I caught things I hadn't ever noticed before. When I first read this book as a younger kid, I was completely fascinated by the assigned jobs idea. Not that I wanted to have something like that implemented in my own world, but I wrote so, so many stories in middle school that revolved around ceremonies where people are assigned jobs. (The one I remember best is one where humans lived underground in what was basically an ant colony because they lived on a planet inhabited by huge giants who would squish them--like ants--if above. This was when I had been playing the game SimAnt a lot. The MC was assigned the job of aphid milker. At age 12, I wasn't too worried about how the science worked out...) But anyway, reading the book as I got older, I noticed the subtle things more. I won't say which part hit me the most intensely this time when I read it, because that would be a super spoiler, but wow. It was as good as it ever was.

I also read THE RED PYRAMID by Rick Riordan. This is the first of his books I've read--I haven't tried out the Percy Jackson series yet, though I plan to!--and it was pretty good. Completely entertaining, loved the mythology (I <3 ancient Egypt), and the characters were fun. I'll definitely read more books in this series, when they're out.

What was your favorite book this month? Visit YA Highway to share!

8 comments:

Katy Upperman said...

I absolutely LOVE The Giver. It's one of my all time favorites and was required reading back when I taught fifth grade.

The Red Pyramid sounds cool. I've not read Rick Riordan, but perhaps it's time to seek some of his books out. :)

Rebecca B said...

I loved The Giver when I read it way back in the day. You've inspired me to reread it.

Sarah Enni said...

The Giver is so amazing, isn't it? It totally changed how I read books. *hugs Lois Lowry*

Horserider said...

I loved The Giver when we read it in sixth grade. One of the few schools books that I still love to this day. :D

As for Rick Riordan, I've read all his books (except The Lost Hero which I haven't managed to get my hands on yet). His best by FAR (IMO) is The Last Olympian, the last book in the Percy Jackson series. The whole series is great. I wasn't that big of a fan of The Red Pyramid.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

The Giver is the best.
Haven't read any Rick Riordan yet!

KO said...

Haven't read either of these, but they both sound really cool. The Giver especially so to me.
I just realized from your profile that you live in Waterbury! Funny- I moved to Middletown just over a year ago.Cool!

Medeia Sharif said...

I'd like to read The Giver again because I felt as if I wasn't giving it enough attention the first time I read it.

I always pick up more details during a reread.

Christina Lee said...

OOh I 'd like to re-read that again and Number the Stars!