Wednesday, October 6, 2010

RTW: Desert Island

This week's road trip Wednesday topic is: You're packing for a month on a deserted island. What, as a reader and writer, must be in your backpack?


Well, if I'm packing for this trip in advance, obviously this deserted island is going to be somewhat prepared for me. So I'm going to pretend that my country-girl knowledge of how to not die while walking around in the woods will translate into knowing how to build a good fire (hey--I would be better at it than some of the people on Survivor!) and shelter and finding food. So I won't need to pack anything for that. Except maybe a few cigarette lighters, because they hardly take up any space, and while I'm figuring out how to effectively get my fire lit the natural way, it might be smart to have a backup plan. 

I would also pack sunscreen. Because let's face it. I do not have the complexion for a desert island, and I hate being sunburned. 

And then, I would pack a zillion notebooks. And pens. And also a giant plastic bag to store them in if it rains. Or, maybe wiser, I would use a waterproof suitcase (they make those, don't they?) I write by hand a lot anyway, so this would be no problem. But a month with nothing to do really except write or read? We're talking about a lot of notebooks, here. And a lot of pens. And maybe a couple of pencils, in case all my pens die. 

Of course, I can't write ALL the time. My brain would explode from overwork. So I would bring a selection of my favorite books: His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman; HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins; THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy; FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK by Melina Marchetta; SHADE'S CHILDREN by Garth Nix; and more if I had room. 

What would you bring? Stop by YA Highway and let us know!

12 comments:

Sarah Enni said...

A bag to protect the notebooks from the rain! *headbeach* Wouldn't have thought of that.

I'd bring my favorite books, too. It would be like the comforts of home in an unfamiliar place.

Erinn said...

UGH! I forgot Sunscreen... crap and there was that great song years ago about remembering Sunscreen.

I think it's funny that lots of people are bring their reading list and that Hex Hall is on it.

Misha said...

More or less the same, although I have no idea which books I'd take along, since I would most likely spend the day before in a book shop, randomly picking titles that attract me...

Mariam Maarouf said...

Ooooh.. I forgot sunscreen as well!
Ouch. A sunburn would hurt somewhere without any meds. =S

Kate said...

I've never even heard of HEX HALL, but I just looked it up and it seems like a great book. I'm adding it to my to-read list, even if I don't take it with me to my imaginary deserted island.

Kate Hart said...

Sarah's *headbeach* just made me crack up.

Kristin Miller said...

You win the internetz for bringing the plastic bags/rain protection. Fer realz. You'd have this lovely novel after a month and I'd have a bunch of sopping wet pages.

Amie Kaufman said...

Kristin is right, special prize for thinking about how to keep your notebooks dry! Love your list, though--watch me carefully or I'll steal your waterproof suitcase and contents.

Also: why don't they practice firemaking before they go on Survivor? WHY?

Kaitlin Ward said...

Amie: I have always wondered this!!! It's the FIRST THING they do when they get there! Plus, if there's a tie on who has the most votes for getting voted off, don't they usually settle it by who makes the fire that cuts through the rope fastest? LEARN SKILLS, PEOPLE.

Everyone: I'm very precious about my notebooks LOL. Protecting them was thought #1 when I was writing this post.

Lora said...

Great idea with the waterproof suitcase! I now have visions of Nim's Island, where the writer (Jodie Foster's character) really could have used a waterproof suitcase like that, LOL.

Michelle Schusterman said...

If Kaitlin Ward were on Survivor, I would start watching Survivor.

FIN

Medeia Sharif said...

I would have a hard time figuring out what books I'd bring. I guess I'd just fill my suitcase to the brim.