Wednesday, October 13, 2010

RTW: Favorite first lines

This week's Road Trip Wednesday topic is: A novel's opening is like a pick up line. If it's good, you might take it home. If it's bad... well. You know. What are your favorite first lines? How do your own WIPs start?


Let's start with mine, because I only have one--other WIPs are too drafty and will likely change. The first line of SO DEAD is: "Being dead is awesome."

Some of my book favorite first lines? It's hard to say because sometimes a book is freaking awesome but its first line...not so much. Or vice versa. But here are some good ones, and these are books that ended up being as great as their first lines--no sense leading people astray with kickass first lines that led to mediocre books!

THREE DAYS TO DEAD by Kelly Meding: "I don't recall the first time I died, but I do remember the second time I was born."
Yeah it certainly catches your interest, doesn't it? Dead? Born? What is going on with this character??

FEED by M. T. Anderson: "We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck."

SHADE'S CHILDREN* by Garth Nix: "A razor blade gave me freedom from the Dorms."

ELLA ENCHANTED by Gail Carson Levine: "That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me."

THE SHIFTER by Janice Hardy: "Stealing eggs is a whole lot harder than stealing the whole chicken."

I could go on, but that's probably enough. I like each of those lines for a different reason. I think the main thing, though, is that they establish voice, and tell me that something interesting is going on. And when I read books, I want them to be interesting, you know?

What are some of your favorite first lines? Join us at YA Highway and share!

*Why haven't more of you read this book?????

16 comments:

Sarah Enni said...

Um, all of these lines completely rock. Most of all, YOUR first line is AMAZING. Love it.

I need to get on that Garth Nix thing. You know, that "reading really good books" thing. Working on it.

Rebecca B said...

FEED was one of mine, too. Such a wonderful book, from the first line to the last.

I love your first line!

Karla Nellenbach said...

I lov eyour first line! I have to admit that I've only read one of the books on your list, but those lines have me wanting to add them to my TBR list :)

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Those are some great lines, including yours!

I loved Feed also. And Ella Enchanted. The rest make me want to add to my TBR pile, as all first lines should.

Tere Kirkland said...

Thanks for sharing such awesome and inspiring lines. I'd completely forgotten about Feed, so thanks for the reminder!

Meredith said...

LOVE your first line! A bunch of people have said FEED. That book wasn't on my radar screen until today, but now I think it's going on the list.

Kristin Miller said...

I love your first line. And the Janice Hardy one is brilliant, too. :D

Kirsten said...

Aw, I love Ella Enchanted! And I really like your first line for So Dead. It's an instant hook!

Jess said...

The opening line for SO DEAD made me giggle. Crazy how four little words can make me want to keep reading. :)

Shayda Bakhshi said...

I have totally read SHADE'S CHILDREN.

And I concur--tons of people haven't even heard of it. I'll occasionally peruse bookshelves for books I have and love, just to say hi (which is weird), and I haven't seen this one in years.

Supply and demand, unfortunately. How are people supposed to demand something they don't know exists?

*demands more Garth Nix books for those who can't*

:(

Amie Kaufman said...

I love these! I love yours, and I love Janice Hardy's!

Amanda Hannah said...

Awesome picks! And I will <3 So Dead's first line forever lol.

Kate said...

That opening to FEED is great! I totally want to go read that book now.

Z said...

Your opening line is great! Of the books on your list, I've only read "Shade's Children". I liked his "Abhorsen" books better, though.

Michelle Schusterman said...

Yup - your first line is so effing perfect for that book! Awesometastic.

markmurata said...

Strongly agree on Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding. That was a model of how to write the first line, the first page, and the first chapter.