Wednesday, October 20, 2010

RTW: Who makes me less unique?

So this week's Road Trip Wednesday topic is not an easy one. At least not for me. The prompt: Who are your comp titles/authors?

Well.

There's a reason I avoided this entirely in my queries. It's not because I think I'm so insanely special and unique that no one else's book could possibly be like mine. It's not because I'm so humble that I don't think I can be compared in any way, shape or form to a published author. And it's not because I don't know how to compare books to other books. You might think I'm going somewhere with this, since I started this paragraph with "There's a reason," but you'd be wrong. Really it's just not as easy for me to objectively compare my own book to other books as it is for me to objectively compare other people's books. But I think it's good to have a general idea, so here we go:

So Dead:
Well, for the dead teenager trying to sort out her personality aspect, I think the obvious comparison for this one is Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Our writing styles are very different and our plots are very different, but there are definitely some common themes.

Unthawed:
Because it has both post-apocalyptic and dystopian aspects, I'm going to compare it to Shade's Children by Garth Nix. So, I could/should probably choose something more popular and more current, but the obvious choice if I'm going to be popular and current is The Hunger Games and that's a little too popular. The thing about Shade's Children is that it has the really obvious bad guys who are, without question, the enemy, but it also creates an environment where the person you think is helping you might actually not be. I have that same kind of chaotic "can't trust anyone" vibe going on in Unthawed (all 8k of it so far, at least...) I will definitely not pretend I think I'm as awesome as Garth Nix, though.


So now that I've expended all my energy on two measly little comparisons, what are yours? Visit YA Highway to share!

10 comments:

KO said...

I think it's savvy of you to skip the ref to Hunger Games.

Sarah Enni said...

This was so hard! I like your comps though -- it's more important to find books that have a similar spirit to your work.

Amie Kaufman said...

I know exactly what you mean! I try to write like the authors I most admire, but I wouldn't be so forward as to actually compare myself! Kate Hart had some good advice from Kristin Nelson in her post on this -- she suggested using the phrase 'may appeal to readers of'. I'm way more comfortable with that. Hers is at http://www.katehart.net/2010/10/road-trip-wednesday-whos-in-passenger.html

Kara Mustafa said...

I'm like you. I never compared myself to another author in the query. I actually haven't read BEFORE I FALL yet, but SO DEAD sounds awesome :)

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Love the title on this post!

I agree, it's wise to avoid the huge blockbuster comparisons.

Alicia Gregoire said...

I'm delaying my post because this topic is so hard. I agree that it's smart to avoid the blockbuster titles.

Abby Stevens said...

I struggle with comps, too, but it looks like you came up with good ones! And oh, how I want to read UNTHAWED!

Sarah Nicolas said...

Haha! Our posts for this RTW are pretty similar!

I struggled quite a bit and still didn't really come up with anything... however I have my next book figured out! (for now)

Michelle Schusterman said...

Perfect comps! Also, you totally win Best Ironic Title With a Hint of Sarcasm with this one. :P

Emilia Plater said...

"but it also creates an environment where the person you think is helping you might actually not be." YES!! I love this in books. And so true about being able to compare books to other people's books but not your own, lol. Awesumness!