Wednesday, November 17, 2010

RTW: The Wildwinds Made Me Do It

This week's topic is super extra special. The first line of Kirsten Hubbard's LIKE MANDARIN (which you can win on YA Highway--have you entered yet?) is: "The winds in Washokey make people go crazy." This week's RTW prompt is to post about a time you did something completely crazy.

Well, I thought about it. I thought and I thought. I've done plenty of crazy things I'm not going to share with you all (sorry). And I've done crazy things that no one else would ever consider crazy but me. I've done things that are crazy in the middle school sort of way--deciding the bandstand at school was haunted and making a ghost club; getting lost in the woods; trying to get a creepy abandoned house unlocked late at night (it still freaks me out that we did that. That place is so scary you have no idea). Things that are crazy in an "I can't believe I stayed up that long" kind of way--driving straight from Ithaca, NY to Ashland, ME and then continuing on to Presque Isle like there wouldn't still be donuts if we waited until the next day; late night chats with friends followed by early morning classes; driving from Connecticut to Ashland overnight because it seemed like a great idea until the morning when we realized one of us was going to have to not nap and watch the baby.

But really the craziest thing I ever did? Deciding to date my fiance. The whole story isn't that interesting if you weren't there, but it's one of the most spontaneous decisions I've ever made. I barely knew him, was going back to school--seven hours from where he went to school--in a week, but those are the things that made me decide, what the hell, why not? If it didn't work out, we wouldn't have any of those awkward post-breakup run-ins. And if it did, then it was a risk worth taking. And it did work out. So there you go.

Want to share something crazy you have done? Visit YA Highway, add your link, get an extra entry to win an ARC of LIKE MANDARIN. And you don't have to be embarrassed by your crazy--you can blame it on the wildwinds.

9 comments:

Rebecca B said...

What a happy crazy story. :)

The creepy abandoned house is very intriguing, too.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Dating for practical reasons is highly overrated. Glad your crazy chance worked out!

Sarah Enni said...

Aw! That is such a sweet story. And honestly, putting your heart out there IS one of the craziest things a person can do. So happy it worked out for you! :)

Abby Stevens said...

I'll second what Jennifer said - I'm so glad it worked out for you! Sometimes we make those odd life decisions that are sort of out of character, but do so much for us in the end!

danaalisonlevy said...

Love your crazy! I was going to say proposing to my husband, so I'm familiar with that particular jump into crazy-land. But I particularly love the "forgetting that someone was going to have to not nap and watch the baby" - damn if those babies don't just surprise you again and again!

Kirsten Hubbard said...

love how those split-second decisions sometimes lead to the most fantastic things.

Jus said...

Dating in general can be all kinds of crazy! Glad it worked out :D

Michelle Schusterman said...

Aw!!<33

Also: Moar about this haunted house plz?

Brandon said...

Those crazy kids falling in love on a whim after knowing each other for a total of 15 or 20 hrs. I think the craziest thing I did was not ask you out the first night we met or maybe not asking for you to marry me sooner than I did. I love you.

P.S. To all Kaitlins friends she is not with me therefore cannot proofread before I post and I am not a writer so please be kind with grammar comments