Wednesday, January 5, 2011

RTW: Five best books of 2010

The handy spreadsheet I made last year of all the books I read helps me out with this topic. I don't have to dredge up memories of what in hell I read all the way back to last January. I read a lot of amazing books in 2010, but here are five of my favorites, in no particular order:


1. FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK by Melina Marchetta. I adored Jellicoe Road, mainly because of the author's beautiful, beautiful writing, so when she came out with a high fantasy? Hell yeah I was going to read it. And it was amazing. The romance, the world, the characters. She didn't hold back. The world was brutal and real and I love this book.







2. HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins. Technically I read this book in 2009 because I won an ARC from a random twitter contest, but I'm putting it here anyway, since it debuted in 2010--and I did read it twice more, in 2010. This book seriously has everything. I think it's one that crosses reader boundaries between those who prefer contemporary and those who prefer fantasy. It's SO incredibly hilarious, I literally laughed out loud more than once. But it also has substance. The plot's complex and the love interest, Archer, is one of my favorites of the books I've read recently.


3. HOURGLASS by Claudia Gray. I loved EVERNIGHT. And I loved STARGAZER. So it only makes sense that I would have loved this one too, right? This book was unique from the first two in many ways, but it was still so good. And the ending was seriously wow. And separately but relatedly I am so excited for the Balthazar book that's coming out after this series is over. *swoons*






4. MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly intense. There were some things I really, really liked about it, and I wasn't left with the feeling of burning disappointment I sometimes feel when a trilogy or series ends. And I was satisfied with where Gale ended up in the scheme of things (yeah, SO Team Gale). Plus, this was one of those books that just made people talk. Everyone was excited about Mockingjay. Everyone was reading it. Everyone had reactions and blogged and tweeted and forum posted about it. What is better than a book that no one can stop talking about?   


5. BLUE FIRE by Janice Hardy. I loved THE SHIFTER, so I was excited about this one. Janice Hardy sure does know how to get her poor characters into tough situations where they have to make difficult choices to worm their way out. I love her world building--it's amazing. Something to aspire to, really. And I love the characters, their relationships, the fact that the MC, Nya, has to do tough things and is haunted by her choices, because I don't think anyone could do the things she's had to and not worry if they did the right thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this trilogy wraps up!


What were the five best books you read in 2010? Visit YA Highway to read what others said, and to link your own post! Alternatively this week, you can sum up your 2010 with a book title. (I found that too hard!)

17 comments:

Sarah Enni said...

Um - how did I not put together that Finnikin of the Rock was by THE Melina Marchetta?! From this list I've only read Mockingjay, but I mean to get to all the rest in short order. I always love your recs :)

KO said...

Umm, I'm a little embarrassed because I haven't read any of these.
I just got Jellicoe Rd in the mail... and I'm adding these to my list!

Kate said...

Hex Hall has been on my to read list for a while. I really need to get around to reading that one. Thanks for the other recomendations too.

Alicia Gregoire said...

Have I read any of these? Nope. Are most on my TBR? Yep.

Jenny said...

3/5 I've read, an all were awesome! Great list here :)

Also, would like to add that I completely agree with your Balthazar sentiment!

Meredith said...

I am dying to read Hex Hall! It's on the short-list. So many books to read, so little time. Isn't that always the case?

Rachel Bateman said...

I really, really need to read Hex Hall. I wanted to read it right when it came out, yet somehow have not gotten around to doing it yet. So many books, so little time!

Great List!

Rebecca B said...

You sold me on HEX HALL with the blend of fantasy and contemp. Adding it to my list!

Erinn said...

I read Hex Hall and I thought it was very cute. "Bad Dog."

Great list very cool.

Kara Mustafa said...

I'm reading Jellicoe Road now but Finnikin sounds awesome! Have to add that to my list.

Jess said...

Thanks for the recs--they all sound so good!

Becca C. said...

I love Hex Hall! It really took me by surprise. It's infinitely deeper, more suspenseful, and funnier than I expected it to be! Demonglass is coming soon!

Pam Harris said...

You get may-jah props from me for being Team Gale. Woo hoo! :)

Michelle Schusterman said...

6 months. 6. Months. Is how long I've been on hold for The Shifter at the library.

srsly

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Great list...I went to my library catalog before commenting.

Amanda Hannah said...

<333
Love your book list. Like, insanely. Some of my favorites, too!

Milena March said...

I nearly squealed when I saw Finnikin of the Rock up there, because it was definitely my favourite book of 2010, by a long shot. I absolutely adored it. :D