Wednesday, January 26, 2011

RTW: In What Universe?

This week's Road Trip Wednesday question is: If you could live within the universe of one book, which would you choose?


Because ultimately I'm going to be so cliche in my answer, first I'm going to tell you which ones I considered. I thought about the universe of HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins, but only if I get to be a witch and go to the school where Sophie goes (so I guess I'd have to be a misbehaving witch.) It just seems like fun. I also considered one (or several) of the many universes in the HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy by Philip Pullman. I want to befriend a giant armored polar bear! And meet strange creatures who don't walk but travel using wheels make of giant seeds! And have a daemon! And then I considered and almost chose the universe from the ABHORSEN trilogy by Garth Nix. It's creepy cool, with the wall that separates normal society from magical society. And all the different types of magic, and the eerie dead things that come up out into the living world and have to be banished back. Of all the things I've ever read, this trilogy has inspired me the most, so it only makes sense I'd want to live there, even if it's a little bit wild and seems to be pretty much in constant danger.

But then.

Then I spotted the seven Harry Potter books on my top shelf, sitting there all innocently, and I'm sorry, but who doesn't want to go to Hogwarts? Especially now that it's all safe and whatnot. Quidditch matches and spells gone awry and fun classes like transfiguration and charms. Delicious magical candy. Quirky teachers. Hagrid's various magical/semi-dangerous pets. Everything about Hogwarts--and all other wizard-related places--is awesome. It is magical and fun and the first time I read HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE, I developed this little corner of my heart where I could pretend it totally does exist.

I'm going to keep pretending until proven wrong ;)


So what about you? If you could live in any book universe--contemp or magical or dystopian or other--which would you choose? Visit YA Highway to share your answer!

18 comments:

Erinn said...

i picked Harry potter too... i bet it's going to be popular.

But i would want an armored polar bear too.

Chanelle said...

That would definitely be my choice too.

Misha said...

Lord of the Rings...

Particularly Minas Tirith

Emilia Plater said...

*raises fist in solidarity* Where else? :D

La-La-La-Laurie said...

Did anyone who didn't read the books before they turned 11 not believe deep down inside that they were getting a Hogwarts letter on their birthday? I did.

Ariana said...

OHAY THAR I also chose Philip Pullman's world. Daemons for the win.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Yes. I totally get that corner of your heart thing...watching the first Harry Potter movie felt a little like coming home for me.

Rebecca B said...

Who wouldn't want to live in the world of Harry Potter? :) I'm always looking for platform 9 3/4. . . .

Pam Harris said...

Harry Potter's quite a popular pick--and I STILL haven't read it. :( This needs to be amended fast!

Alicia Gregoire said...

I'm in shock that Pam's never read Harry Potter.

Sarah Enni said...

Dude. Harry Potter all the time, every time. It wins over other fantasy worlds for me because it's this world, only BETTER. Other worlds (LOTR) are completely, totally different, in ways I'm not sure I'd be cool with. (Unless I was an elf. Then I might change my answer. lol)

Also, Hex Hall would've been a bad-A answer!

Indigo said...

I would love to live in any one of Charles de Lint's books, with magic and fey beneath the surface of reality. (Hugs)Indigo

Alison Miller said...

I tried to avoid choosing HP because I knew everyone else would, but I couldn't resist. smh

Angelica R. Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelica R. Jackson said...

Maybe I'm just hungry, but I picked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. With a caveat.

And don't forget to enter my first-ever contest by Friday. You could win some sweet wall candy.

katelyngendelev said...

See you there! :)

KO: The Insect Collector said...

Lovely! It's everyone's favorite!

Kathleen said...

"I also considered one (or several) of the many universes in the HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy by Philip Pullman."

And I adore you just a little bit more, now.

First thought: I want to live in Newford (Charles De Lint). Second thought: Newford would eat me alive. Literally.