Wednesday, February 9, 2011

RTW: Favorite Literary Couples

This week's RTW asks: who are your favorite literary couples?

Well, that's not a tough one for me. Will and Lyra from the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Because they're so young, there's an innocence to their relationship. And they're not thinking about each other all the time in the romantic sense, they just grow to care about each other. And long before there are any signs of romance, they just work well together, as two individuals, both used to relying only on themselves, who find that they need each other's help. Plus, the end--will put this vague semi-spoiler in brackets in case anyone wants to just skip over it--[[is totally tragic but you know they both made the right decision and you just want to snuggle them and tell them it will be okay.]]

So yeah. For me, no other couple I've ever read shines quite so brightly.

How about you? Visit YA Highway to see other people's choices, and add a link to your own!

19 comments:

Erinn said...

Good choice, their love is so sweet and young.

Pam Harris said...

I've never read His Dark Materials, but will add it to the TBR pile since I've heard so many great things about it. :)

Rebecca B said...

Like Pam, I haven't read His Dark Materials--but you've sold me on it.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

I haven't read the whole series yet...now your semi-spoiler has me curious.

Meredith said...

Oooh, Will and Lyra! Good one! I love that series.

Kate Hart said...

This is one I need to read too.

Alicia Gregoire said...

Good pick. I totally agree with your reasoning.

Abby Stevens said...

I've not read HIS DARK MATERIALS, but they sound like a wonderful couple!

Jess said...

My cousin has been bugging me for years to read this series, so he'll be jealous that you finally convinced me. ;)

KO: The Insect Collector said...

Nice choice-- it is such a sweet and innocent romance.

Kristin Halbrook said...

Aw, of course Will and Lyra. :) Need to read this series . . . >.>

Michelle Schusterman said...

They ripped out my heart. Ripped. It. Out.

Cory Jackson said...

I have the trilogy, but I haven't read it. #fail

Sarah Enni said...

I read the series before the movie came out, but I do not remember the ending! Who am I, how is that possible? Anyway these two were completely sweet and both really strong characters on their own. Excellent choice!

Jenny said...

Brilliant choice! I love Will and Lyra- and their ending is heartbreaking, but totally right at the same time. So, I can agree with you there- great couple!

Kathleen said...

I adored Will. He's one of my favorite YA male protagonists.

Christina Lee said...

I've never read it either *too many on my list*!!!!

Jess said...

P.S. I have something for you at my blog: http://bit.ly/eZUajZ

Debra D. said...

Okay, I totally need to read this series!