Wednesday, April 13, 2011

RTW: Best Scar Stories

As a child, I liked to play outdoors all the time, and as a result, I have a lot of scars. Most of them are pretty uninteresting. Scraped knees and elbows from falling down. A random, not-that-small scar on my leg that I do not remember getting. One on the back of my wrist from having a cyst removed, one from my c-section.
But I do have a couple good scar stories.

First, there is the one on my forehead. Sadly, it is not lightning-shaped. Nor does it connect me to an evil wizard (dammit!) It’s just a horizontal line, off to the side. I got it when I was around five. I was at my cousins’ house, and our babysitter, a really sweet older woman, was setting things out for us all to eat lunch, so the island in the middle of the kitchen had its extension out so we could all fit around it. Running back from washing my hands, I forgot about it, and because I was wearing socks, I couldn’t stop fast enough and I ran right into it (p.s. I am not this island’s only victim. But I was the only one that day.) I had to get stitches.

I also have a not particularly noticeable scar on the back of my hand, reminder of a lesson well learned when I was around eight. I was practicing with the calf I was going to be taking to the fair, and I did one of the things you are never supposed to do: wrapped the rope of her halter around my hand a few times for better grip. Something startled her, and she jumped and I fell, because the rope tightened. All I got was a scrape from a rock on the driveway, but it was still a good lesson learned.

And my favorite, even though it was caused by my own idiocy: I have a scar on my outside upper thigh that’s a good inch long and probably a centimeter wide at its widest point. I had brought out a ceramic dish filled with vegetable scraps to feed the chickens (not because I was just the most angelic and thoughtful middle schooler ever, but because my mom told me to), and when I got back to the glass door on the deck, I could see my sister on the other side, holding it closed. In a great use of my intelligence, I pushed down the handle and leaned my entire weight on the door to try and push it open. Of course, she let go, so it opened and I fell inside. The ceramic dish shattered and it cut me. We both got in trouble (after I stopped bleeding.)

So how about you? What’s your best scar story, or if you’re long-winded like me, your multiple best scar stories? Visit YA Highway to share your links!  

13 comments:

Rebecca B said...

Great scar stories. Those kitchen islands are such troublemakers!

Abby Stevens said...

Oh man! The door battle sounds like something my brother and I would've done growing up (er... maybe even now).

Alicia Gregoire said...

I'm beginning to rejoice in the fact I'm an only child!

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Great stories, esp the cattle one. I was raised around horses. You're not supposed to walk behind them w/o them knowing. My grandma (the one from my scar story) would remind us of this rule by showing us her scar, in the shape of a horseshoe, on the front of her leg. Ouch!

Tracey Neithercott said...

The last story sounds like something my sister would have done when we were younger. Siblings can be evil. :)

Katy said...

Okay, it sounds like you had a farm-y upbringing, which makes me very jealous!

Kate Hart said...

"We both got in trouble (after I stopped bleeding.)"

Those are the worst kinds of injuries! LOL

KO: The Insect Collector said...

You know it's a big deal when you get in trouble after the bleeding stops.
Great stories!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I can point to several scars that have a connection to my older brothers. I was the only girl and the youngest (at the time--we've since added a younger brother to the mix) and you'd think that would make them go easier, but it was just the opposite!

beck nicholas said...

Ah sibling scars... I'm impressed that you didn't get in trouble til after you finished bleeding.
=)

Alison Miller said...

Great post! I inflicted a lot of scars on my brother - he just tortured me emotionally.

Pam Harris said...

I think I winced at each of your stories.

Christina Lee said...

Love this post!!!!! I have one my forehead too, near my eye (twins)!