Friday, May 20, 2011

Amity: it's not as fun as it looks.

I determined about two hours after Amity week began that I am just not chill enough to be Amity. I mean, I can do some of it. Here's the definition from the Divergent fansite:

AMITY:

1. friendship; peaceful harmony.

2. mutual understanding and a peaceful relationship, especially between nations; peace; accord.

3. cordiality

It’s not just about banjos and apple-picking.* It’s about cultivating strong relationships and trying to understand each other.


So yeah. I do try to cultivate strong relationships and understand others, but I am just not...peaceful. It's not like I go around chopping off people's heads, but I do get annoyed and I am horrible at letting things go. I will always have the last word, even if it's just in my head.

I see Amity members as people who can let things just roll off them. I don't think they would argue, I don't think they would mutter snarky things, I don't think they would glower mutinously at their fiance when he didn't put his cup in the dishwasher. So yeah. Even more than Abnegation, this faction is not for me. I think I will do better with the final three. I'm ready for them!  

11 comments:

Kate Hart said...

HOWEVER. Amity would also not entertain me endlessly and join me in stabbityness. So I'm glad it's not your faction.

KO: The Insect Collector said...

You are so right. Amity was surprisingly tough!
Amity makes Abnegation look easy.

Debra Driza said...

Yep, totally with you. Plus Amity had the added bonus of making me FEEL like a bad person for thinking non-amity thoughts--boo on that! =D (I love the coffee cup glare, btw---over here we also have the dirty undie glare, and the messy toy glare, etc, etc, etc!)

Jamie B said...

If my husband weren't hobbling around this week on a bum knee, he would've gotten several glares. Good think his knee picked Amity week--good for him and me.

Lora said...

Sounds like you had a worthwhile challenge this week! I'm looking forward to seeing what the next factions bring.

loritayseastep said...

So with you on Amity week! It SEEMS easy... but I know my own thoughts, and they are not very amity-ish.

Kathleen said...

You're right. Snark and Amity do not go together. I think that leaves almost all of my writing friends (myself included) out of the running.

Nikki said...

I am completely with you. This week and last were really hard. The other 3 are much more up my alley!

Sarah Enni said...

DUde, you are to Amity as I was to Abnegation. I for real did not even want to acknowledge Abnegation.

If glaring mutinously when people are LAZY FOR NO REASON, THE DISHWASHER IS RIGHT THERE, GOD then I don't want to be right!

danaalisonlevy said...

You mean passive aggressive glaring isn't part of Amity. Well shit. On to the next one...

Marilyn Almodóvar said...

I'm terrible at letting go of things. I can hold a grudge, and Amity made me feel like a bad person for it...