Wednesday, September 21, 2011

RTW: All-Time Favorite Book Covers

It has been a while since I did an RTW! I have been a slacker. But I couldn't resist this one. And I should warn you, when you enter the YA section and a sea of black covers await you, I am the person who is lured in by such covers. Narrowing down my favorites was NOT EASY. But I tried. There are still a lot. In no particular order:

I like this one because it is creepy. I also really, really like the covers of her entire WAKE trilogy.

I actually don't think an online image does this one justice. It is even prettier in physical form. Also I love the cover of its sequel, RAGE.

I also think that this one looks even prettier in physical form.

This cover was just revealed! But I love it, I love everything about it. So it had to be on my list.

The other covers in the trilogy are pretty too, but this one is my favorite for some reason.

I don't know how it would be possible to pass this in a store and not at least pause to admire it.

This cover is so. creepy. It's half the reason I read the book.

I don't know why, you guys. I don't know what it is about this cover that I like, but when I was in late middle school, I saw this cover when browsing the book store, and it stopped me, and this became one of my favorite books ever. 

So I could go on with a million other examples of covers I love, but I will stop there. What are your favorite covers? Share a link to your post on YA Highway!

16 comments:

Alison Miller said...

Ohmygosh, LOVE the INSURGENT cover!!!

Great choices! Some of these could have easily been on my list too. So hard to choose!

Rebecca B said...

Insurgent is a great cover--and I love how it maintain's Divergent's style and tone. The cover for The Replacement--holy crap, is that striking! And creepy!

Alicia Gregoire said...

The Replacement cover is what made me read the book too! And I also love the Insurgent cover.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Ooo. You've got some disturbing ones, esp The Relacements...I love that the metal above the baby's carriage is actually meant to protect...it looks so menacing.

Tracey Neithercott said...

All of those are great. The Hunger cover always reminds me of Incarceron, which I also like. Actually, each one of your choices is just gorgeous, minus Shade's Children which, while it's not bad, isn't really my favorite.

Sarah Enni said...

"And I should warn you, when you enter the YA section and a sea of black covers await you, I am the person who is lured in by such covers." LOL you sound like you're talking to a support group. "Hi, I'm Kaitlin, and I love dark covers."

Oooh Cryer's Cross is rad. I love that kind of creepy! And how could I forget the Mara Dyer cover?? I would frame that picture, seriously.

Jaime Morrow said...

Great list! I thought it was funny that you commented on the 'sea of black covers' because I totally notice that every time I walk into the YA section of a bookstore. I didn't notice before just how much the covers of Incarceron and Hunger look alike. Huh. I also had Insurgent and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer on my list.

Ariana said...

I love the Modern Tales of Faerie series! Ironside's cover is my favourite too. That's on my bookshelf right next to me, actually.

Kathleen Peacock said...

These are so, so pretty. And deliciously creepy.

Donelle Lacy said...

I completely agree with you on dark covers. There have been so many of them lately, but some of them are just gorgeous. I picked a couple of the same that you did - Incarceron and The Replacement. In fact, the cover for the Replacement nearly made me buy it on the spot before I'd even read it!

I love the cover for Hunger too. Having a shiny, embellished book in your hand is like owning a bit of treasure, even if you're just borrowing it.

J.Lyn said...

I picked Mara too. So beautiful. Great choices!

Sarah Nicolas said...

OMG, we have VERY similar tastes!! No wonder you loved the Angelfall cover too.

Jessica Love said...

I seriously love that Insurgent cover. I can't wait!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Almost did the Replacements, but my post was getting too long. I think we were all kind of surprised by how much we had to say/gush about covers!

I like creeping and arresting covers too, but my photographer self is stubborn about that they don't need to be dark in color to be dark in subject. Some of my favorite pix I've taken in Preston Castle are full of color and texture, and are so atmospheric because of it.

Christina Lee said...

You're SO dark and mysterious, Kaitlin! :D Nice selection here!

Dawn Kurtagich said...

All of these are so lovely that I'm drooling a little bit.