Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Best of 2011: Favorite Books

This was hard. I read a lot of amazing books this year, as I was reminded when I went back through my excel spreadsheet (and Goodreads) to see what I'd read. To make myself less confused, I had to block out books I had read before 2011, even if they came out in 2011. And not all of the books on this list came out in 2011, but it's when I read them for the first time. And this post is doubling as both an RTW post and a participation in Sarah Enni's best of 2011 series. 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was not only one of the best books I read this year, but one of the best books I've read ever.

Hex Hall is one of my favorite books, so Demonglass, its sequel, had a lot to live up to. It was certainly different than the first, but it was still just as fun and action-filled. I have never read anything with such an awesomely-and-not-obnoxiously sarcastic narrator as this series.

So, I'm definitely one of Those People who didn't read A Game of Thrones until the TV series came out. I'd always meant to, but never made it a priority. Then I watched one episode of the show, and bought a box set of books 1-4 immediately. I also read A Clash of Kings this year. It is equally awesome. This series deserves all the praise it gets. However, I am sad that there are about 53.6 million different covers for this book, and none of them (that I could find) feature Khal Drogo. I did spend a really long time google imaging him to find one, though, so I guess we can call it a win.

I am actually not quite finished reading Froi of the Exiles yet. But I will be before the year ends. And the rest would have to really fall apart for me to want to rescind it from this list, and I know it's not going to. Finnikin of the Rock is one of my favorite books, so reading a sequel to it just completes my life.

A Monster Calls chewed up my heart, but in a good way. I don't even know what to say about it, really. It's beautifully written, a beautiful story, and has beautiful illustrations. 

18 comments:

Veronica Roth said...

So, I should read Finnikin of the Rock, is what you're saying.

Actually, I haven't read any of these, except DoSaB. I should get on it!

Lora said...

Oh, I have to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I've heard it's amazing! That'll be my next Kindle download.

Lindsey Roth Culli said...

Oooh! Patrick Ness! I tore through The Knife of Never Letting Go (and the two following books). Which means Monster is going on my TBR list ASAP.
Also loveeeee Finnikin.

Theresa said...

I have yet to read any of these books. Though, I do have Hex Hall on my bookshelf. It is on the top of my list to read in the New Year. And I've heard nothing but amazing things about Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I have quite a few to add to my TBR list. Thanks.

New follower :)

Alison Miller said...

So, I've only read one of these (Daughter of Smoke and Bone), but the rest are now being added to my TBR. Great recommendations! Thanks!

S. L. Hennessy said...

Wow, you have amazing taste! I LOVE George R. R. Martin and The Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Great picks!!

Colin Smith said...

You keep an Excel spreadsheet of books you've read too? I'm not alone! I considered participating in this blogfest, but I haven't read enough 2011 YA to really do any of the categories justice (unless I use DIVERGENT, LIKE MANDARIN, and BEHEMOTH for everything).

Interesting picks. I'll be coming back to these lists as I select my YA reading for next year.

Colin Smith said...

(I just realized--BEHEMOTH came out in 2010... so all my lists would have to be from DIVERGENT and LIKE MANDARIN... and that would make me look like a YA Highway stalker...)

Juliana said...

Great list!
I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone ;)
The others are on my TBR list, which grows a little more every day. It's a pity my free time doesn't grow like it though lol

carey farrell said...

i'm reading daughter of smoke and bone right now. it's so beautiful.

Crystal said...

I'm so behind on reading! Haven't gotten to any of these yet... I did put THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO on my 2011 favorites list, so I agree with any accolades for Patrick Ness even if I haven't read his new one ;)

Athena Franco said...

The Song of Ice and Fire books have been on my To Read list for far too long! I'm going to have to get my hands on them finally this January.

Tracey Neithercott said...

I read Finnikin of the Rock for the first time this year and that would be one of my all-time favorites. I loved it fiercely. I can't wait to read Froi, and I'm so glad to hear it's good.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I still haven't read Hex Hall but it's on my list; couldn't get into Finniken for some reason. But A Monster Calls sounds intriguing, I'll have to check out that one.

beck nicholas said...

I haven't read any of these. *hangs head* But i am halfway through Finnikan and have Froi ready to go. Now to decide which to buy next...

Stephanie Allen said...

The only one of these that I've read is A Game of Thrones. Clearly, this needs to be rectified.

commutinggirl said...

Wow again a list full of novels I have not yet read...My TBR is growing and I´m loving it!

Sarah Enni said...

"I did spend a really long time google imaging him to find one, though, so I guess we can call it a win." HAHAHA That is a definite win! And sad, I'd totally buy the Khal Drogo version too!

Ahhhh Finnikin of the Rock--Y U not on my shelf right now?? I need to get to that series ASAP.